Health is one of the most crucial aspects for the well being of man. Technically, being healthy is a state in which one is fit and devoid of any physical and mental illness.
Listed below are a few of the reasons why health is important:
- The health of an organism is directly influenced by its environment. Thus, it becomes very important to be living in a healthy and pollution-free environment.
- Food forms the basis for carrying out the basic functions of our body, hence it becomes necessary to eat the right kind of food to stay in fine fettle.
- Cleanliness needs to be one’s priority both of oneself and surroundings. Care needs to be taken to maintain proper sewage and garbage treatment, as it can lead to various diseases.
- Being happy to lead a normal life is equally important these days. Depression causes severe morbidity and impedes a person to lead a normal life.
Why Do We Fall Ill?
Any condition that causes discomfort, pain, abnormal behaviour, disorders, syndromes, infections often leads to a condition referred to as a disease. We fall ill due to numerous factors, these can be external or internal factors. Externally, we can be induced with diseases due to surroundings, physical contact with a disease-carrying vector, exposure to pathogens, consumption of contaminated food and water, inhaling toxic fumes etc. Weakened immune systems can also lead to allergies, autoimmune diseases, depression and so on.
Following are a few of the reasons contributing to our ill-being:
- The improper functioning of cells and tissues
- Our body parts are interconnected, slight dysfunctioning of even one nerve cell or organ has an impact on the entire body
- External factors such as lack of proper hygiene and polluted environment can lead to serious health issues
- Poverty is one of the reasons why people are dying every day.
- In some cases, symptoms of a disease are visible much later after being induced with a disease, hence one is not aware of the cause in particular
Diseases And Its Types
While a body is functioning normally, how do we get to know that we have fallen sick? We feel that something is not right in our body. An organism has organ systems containing specific tissues. Tissues carry out specific functions in our body, they consist of a number of cells carrying out their basic functionality. When there is a disease, the proper functioning of our body is affected, it gives rise to a symptom or series of symptoms, this is when we feel there is something wrong in our body, for instance, flu, cough, headaches, vomits are few of the symptoms we see as a result of a disease. A careful examination by a physician will help one diagnose a disease accurately.
Diseases are classified into two types depending upon how long a disease lasts.
- Acute diseases: These are the diseases that last for a couple of days to a few weeks and in most cases are curable. For example, food poisoning, headache, typhoid, chickenpox etc.
- Chronic diseases: These diseases lasts for a long time and sometimes, lifetime and are generally not curable. For example, asthma, cancer, arthritis, diabetes and so on. These diseases can either be caused due to heredity or a poor lifestyle.
|Health And Hygiene|