President of India is referred to as the first citizen of India. The Indian President is elected by an electoral college composed of the elected members of the Parliament, Lok Sabha, Rajya Sabha and Vidhan Sabha.
There have been 14 personalities who served as Indian Presidents since the adoption of the Indian Constitution in 1950 and there have been tenures when the country was headed by an acting President. In this article, you will get to know about all the Presidents of India from 1950 to 2020.
This is an important topic for UPSC, Bank and other Government exams.
|IAS Exam||UPSC Books|
|UPSC Syllabus||UPSC Notes|
|Indian Prime Ministers List||UPSC 2020 Calendar|
|Prime Minister & Council of Ministers||Powers and Functions of President|
List of Presidents of India- Download PDF Here
List of Indian Presidents (1950-2020)
The Constitution of India was adopted on January 26, 1950, and Dr Rajendra Prasad was elected as the first constitutional head of the state, the President of India.
Pranab Mukherjee, the 13th President of India, completed his term in July 2017. Though he was eligible, he did not contest for re-election. As a result, Ram Nath Kovind on July 25th, 2017, became the 14th Indian President, appointed by the electoral college.
|Rajendra Prasad||13 May 1952 – 13 May 1957
13 May 1957 – 13 May 1962
|Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan||13 May 1962 – 13 May 1967||
|Zakir Hussain||13 May 1967 – 3 May 1969||
|Varahagiri Venkata Giri||3 May 1969 – 20 July 1969
24 August 1969 – 24 August 1974
|Fakhruddin Ali Ahmed||24 August 1974 – 11 February 1977||
|Neelam Sanjiva Reddy||25 July 1977 – 25 July 1982||
|Zail Singh||25 July 1982 – 25 July 1987||
|Ramaswamy Venkataraman||25 July 1987 – 25 July 1992||
|Shankar Dayal Sharma||25 July 1992 – 25 July 1997||
|Kocheril Raman Narayanan||25 July 1997 – 25 July 2002||
|Avul Pakir Jainulabdeen Abdul Kalam||25 July 2002 – 25 July 2007||
|Pratibha Patil||25 July 2007 – 25 July 2012||
|Pranab Mukherjee||25 July – 25 July 2017||
|Ram Nath Kovind||25 July 2017 – Incumbent||
Qualification of Indian President
President is elected by the process of proportional representation with means of a single transferable vote. President can be removed by the process of impeachment.
The qualification for the post of the President of India is given below:
- He should be an Indian Citizen
- His age should be a minimum of 35 years
- He should qualify the conditions to be elected as a member of the Lok Sabha
- He should not hold any office of profit under the central government, state government, or any public authority.
List of Presidents of India- Download PDF Here
Facts about the President of India
Given below are a few facts related to the President of India and the past Presidents which have served the country. Questions based on these facts are commonly asked in the major competitive exams conducted in the country.
- Dr. Rajendra Prasad was the longest-serving Indian President. He completed two tenures as the President of the country
- The shortest-serving President was the third Indian President, Zakir Hussain. He passed away while he was in his office
- Apart from the full-time Presidents mentioned in the table above, there were three interim Presidents. The three of them were: Varahagiri Venkata Giri, Mohammad Hidayatullah and Basappa Danappa Jatti
- Neelam Sanjiva Reddy was not just the youngest President of the country but was also the first Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh
- Pratibha Patil was the first and the only women President of India
- If the President of India intents to resign from his post, he/she needs to do it in accordance with the procedure prescribed in Article 61 of the Indian Constitution. The President needs to give a hand-written letter to the Vice President, in case of resignation
- The President is elected by the members of both the House of Parliament and the elected members of the legislative assembly of States and Union Territories
Aspirants of UPSC exam, Bank exam, SSC exam or other prominent competitive exam are advised to stay abreast with Current Affair and GK topics as approximately 20% of questions are based on general awareness in any exam.
List of Indian Presidents is an important static GK topic. For more articles on Static GK topics, check the page linked here.
Aspirants of various competitive exams can test their learning of Presidents of India pre and post-independence by giving free Online Quizzes.
For the latest information on UPSC 2020 exam, kindly visit the page linked here.
Other important links:
|Government Exam Notification||Bank Exams||Insurance exams|
|SSC Exams||Government exams After 12th||Government Schemes|
We will be sharing more such topic-wise GK articles so, keep checking the page regularly to stay up-to-date and ace the general awareness section of any exam.