The square root of 9 is equal to 3. It is represented as √9 in radical form and 91/2 in exponential form. When we multiply a number by itself we get the square of the number. The square root of any number is a value that is multiplied by itself to get the original value. So, the square root of 9, denotes to reverse of the square of the number 9. If x is the square root of 9 then x2 = 9.
What is Square root of 9?
Square root of 9 is a whole number that is multiplied by itself to get the original number. The actual value of square root of 9 is 3.
√9 = ±3
If we square +3 or -3, the resulting value will be equal to 9.
- (+3)2 = 9
- (-3)2 = 9
Since, the square root of 9 results in a whole number, therefore, 9 is a perfect square.
Also, the root of 9 is a rational number, because we can represent √9 = ±3 in the form P/Q, such as 3/1.
How to Find Square Root of 9?
Number 9 is an odd number and not a prime number. Prime numbers have only two factors, 1 and the number itself. But as we know, 9 have three multiple factors, 1, 3 and 9 itself. Thus, we can write the number 9 in the form of multiple as;
1 × 9 = 9
3 × 3 = 9
9 × 1 = 9
You know that number 9 is a multiple of 3 or when 3 is multiplied by itself, we get the number 9. Therefore, we can write the square root of 9 as;
The square cancels the square root of a number. Therefore, if we cancel the square root with a square in the above expression, we get,
Basically, the square root of a number gives two root values, one with +ve and another with -ve symbol. Therefore, the value of the square root of 9 can be expressed as +3 and -3 or we can say the roots of 9 are +3 and -3.
Number 9 is the perfect square as it fulfils the criteria which we discussed earlier in the introduction.
Square Root of 9 by Long Division Method
Long division method is helpful to find the square root of non-perfect squares. Since, 9 is a perfect square, thus, it is very easy to derive its square using division method. Remember the following points:
- 9 is a single-digit number, thus its square root will be less than 9
- 9 is an odd number, thus it is not divisible by any even number less than 9 (i.e.,2,4,6,8 is rejected)
- We have to multiply the rest of the numbers 3, 5, and 7 with themselves to find the value equal to 9
- Hence, 3 x 3 = 9
- So, the square root of 9 is equal to 3
- If the number ends with 2, 3, 7 and 8, then the number is not a perfect square.
- A perfect square number ends with 1, 4, 5, 6 and 9.
- It is easy to find the square root of a perfect square number as it results in the whole number, whereas imperfect squares result in fractional or decimal numbers. We can easily square a number by just multiplying the number to itself but taking the square root of the number is a little complicated, especially in the case of imperfect squares.
- The square root is represented by ‘√’ symbol. This symbol is named a radical symbol or radix. And the number underneath the radical symbol or radix is called the radicand. Here, we will find out the square root of 9 by a simple method, where 9 is the radicand.
|Find some other square roots here|
|Square Root Of 1||Square Root Of 2|
|Square Root Of 3||Square Root Of 4|
|Square Root Of 5||Square Root Of 6|
|Square Root Of 7||Square Root Of 8|
Video Lessons on Square Roots
Visualising square roots
Finding Square roots
Square Root of 9 Solved Examples
Q.1: What is the value of square root of 9/25?
Solution: Finding the root of 9 and 25 individually we have;
√9 = 3
√25 = 5
Thus, √(9/25) = 3/5
Q.2: Find the sum of √9 + 2√49.
√9 = 3
√49 = 7
√9 + 2√49 = 3 + 2 (7) = 3 + 14 = 17
Frequently Asked Questions – FAQs
What is actual value of square root of 9?
Is root 9 a rational or irrational?
What is the square root of -9?
Download BYJU’S – The Learning App and learn to find the squares and roots of numbers with the help of interactive videos.