Gout is painful arthritis formed on the joints of the big toe. It is usually caused by the presence of high level of uric acid in the blood which crystallizes and settles in the body. The uric acid in the body is formed due to the breakdown of the waste products in the bloodstream, mainly those containing the purines or alkalis. Purines are the organic compound which is produced naturally by the body. Also, they can be ingested from high-alkaline foods such as meat or by being over-weighted. Purines are the organic compounds produced naturally within the body. Also, they can be ingested from high-alkaline foods such as meat or by being over-weighted.
When the body is affected by these uric acid crystals, it causes an inflammation and a kind of redness, swelling in the joint tissues of the big toe, which is the result of gout. This condition is commonly found in men under the age of 30 and rarely seen in women.
Symptoms of Gout
The severe or painful symptoms of gout usually resolve within a week, later they altogether disappear for months or over years of a time. Some of the symptoms of this disease are given below:
- The joints such as the knees, heels, and sometimes wrist are also infected.
- More often the joint of the big toe is inflamed which is seen in the form of reddish swollen like.
- Gout also causes severe bursitis: An inflammation caused by the fluid filled sac of the joints.
- There is also a risk of kidney related diseases like kidney stones which are developed from the Gout.
- The occurrence of fatigue and also a high fever from this arthritis.
Pseudogout, a kind of inflammatory gouty arthritis that causes stiffness, pain, redness, and swelling in the joints of the body. It can affect one or several joints at once. The knee is the part of the body that is majorly affected. Some of the other parts include the hips, elbows, shoulders, joints of the fingers, toes, and ankles.
Treatments and Prevention of Gout
The precautionary measures and remedies given below can help to prevent the gout attack:
- Add some of the nutritional supplements in your diets such as vitamin that improves and maintains health benefits.
- Focus on maintaining the normal uric acid levels, repairing tissue damages, and also promoting the healing of tissues.
- Several shreds of evidence show that regular application of ice cubes for about 20 minutes a day reduces swelling and the pain.
- Intake of protein supplements should be limited to under a 0.8g/kg of body weight per day.
- During a severe attack, a proper diagnosis and medication should be followed and a continuous focus on relieving inflammation and the pain.
To learn more about this syndrome, visit BYJU’S.