The UPSC CAPF exam for Assistant Commandant post is scheduled to be held on 20th December 2020. Candidates who will write the UPSC CAPF exam must make every effort for their CAPF preparation.
This article will walk candidates through the important topics, best books for CAPF preparation and some tips to prepare for the CAPF exam.
Before moving further, candidates are advised to check all important information about CAPF exam before the final day.
Aspirants of other Government Exams can check the linked page for the latest information related to upcoming exams.
Important dates to remember of UPSC CAPF exam 2020:
|UPSC CAPF Exam Dates 2020|
|Official Notification||August 18th, 2020|
|Online Application||August 18, 2020, to September 7th, 2020|
|UPSC CAPF Written Exam Admit Card||November 2020|
|UPSC CAPF Written Exam||December 20th 2020|
|UPSC CAPF Written Exam Result||To be notified|
|UPSC CAPF Admit Card for Physical & Medical Examination||To be notified|
|UPSC CAPF Interview||To be notified|
Candidates awaiting the UPSC CAPF Admit Card can keep a track of the given link for latest updates.
CAPF Preparation Tips and Strategies
The UPSC Central Armed Police Force exam is just around the corner. Candidates tend to get anxious and lose their focus in such situations.
At this point in time, it is important for the candidates to know the last-minute tips and strategies for UPSC CAPF preparation.
|Leave no stone unturned for UPSC CAPF Preparation! Compliment your preparation with-|
UPSC CAPF Exam Preparation Tips
Candidates can check the CAPF eligibility criteria before starting with their CAPF AC preparation. Below mentioned are some subject-wise tips for CAPF exam preparation.
Paper-I General Ability and Intelligence
The topics covered in this section are General Ability and Intelligence, Current Affairs, General Science, History & Geography, Politics and Economy of India.
Candidates can prepare this section by following these points:
General Ability and Intelligence
- Focus on quantitative aptitude and logical reasoning with extra stress on numerical ability and data interpretation.
- Rigorously practise topics like profit and loss, time and distance, analogy, graphs, pi-charts, mathematical tables, etc. to gain an edge in this section.
Candidates can check out 3 sutras to prepare for reasoning ability which will definitely help to deal with obstacles in the preparation.
To prepare well for reasoning sections go through the Logical Reasoning page to find more topics on basic concepts with detailed explanation and sample questions.
Given below are a few topics on the general intelligence and reasoning, questions based on which are asked almost every year. Candidates can check the links to prepare effectively for this section.
Similarly, some important topics for Quantitative aptitude preparation of CAPF exam are given below. Candidates can go to the given links to gain clarity on basic concepts and scope of questions asked in the exam.
|Questions on Quadratic Equations||Problems on Train|
|Problems on Age||Problems on Data Interpretation|
|Problem on Time and Work||Questions on Number Series|
Find more such topics based on basic concepts with sample questions in the Quantitative Aptitude page.
For the preparation of the QA for CAPF examination, it is important to know shortcut tricks and methods to attempt questions speedily and with maximum accuracy, hence, check the given links for assistance in preparation.
- To excel in the current affairs section, candidates must be up-to-date with day to day happenings in India and across the world. Candidates can go through a few related topics given below:
- Regularly read newspapers and watch television for a daily news update. Aspirants can check Daily News Analysis on the given link to cover the latest news and updates in detail and conveniently.
- Keep making notes of the treaties signed between nations, the peace initiatives between nations, the awards won in various fields like music, arts, sports and science, the economic conditions of the nations and changes in policies in different countries.
A few topics that applicants can go through for their CAPF preparation are given below:
- Important Inventions & Discoveries
- Countries, Capital & Currency
- List of Highest Mountains in India
- List of Longest Rivers in the World
- List of Famous Books And Authors
- List of Arjuna Award Winners
Also, refer to other such topics on Static GK page for assistance in the preparation of GK/GA section of CAPF Exam.
- Concentrate on the latest developments taking place in Science.
- Update your knowledge on the application of science in our daily lives.
To prepare for General Science, the best material that candidates can refer to is the NCERT Notes. Candidates will get firm conceptual knowledge of Physics, Chemistry and Biology by going through the NCERT Notes.
- Focus on the different eras in India, years and dates.
- Commit to memory different rulers and their reigns.
- Have a thorough understanding of the freedom movement, and the social and economic changes in India.
- Concentrate on the geographical aspects related to India and the world, include global warming, the latest treaties, climate change, etc.
Some of the relevant topics that can assist candidates in their preparation of CAPF exam.
- List of Highest Mountains in India
- List of Longest Rivers in the World
- List of Longest Bridges in India
- List of Languages of the World
- Neighbouring Countries of India
- Largest Volcanoes in the World
Politics and Economy
- Focus on the overall political and economic situation of India.
- This would cover the political constitution of India, national and international threats, the public works undertaken, the overall economic state of India, the dialogues that are going on, different business policies, the role of the Reserve Bank of India.
Paper-II General Studies, Essay and Comprehension
- An essay topic can be on anything from history, geography, economy and politics of India.
- Keep oneself abreast with the latest happenings in India.
- Focus on the activities that have taken place in India in the past.
- Remember the dates, trends of various events and also the statistical data. It will help you in coming up with a factual, complete, informative essay.
- Refer to grammar books to brush up your English. It will help you in comprehension and language skills
- Practise precis writing and comprehension on a daily basis.
Candidates can refer the following links for assistance in the preparation of English and comprehension part of the CAPF examination.
|English Root Words||List of Most Asked English Vocabulary||List of Synonyms & Antonyms|
|Letter Writing Format||Precis Writing Format||List of One Word Substitutions|
For further assistance with such concepts based articles and topic-wise study material for the English Language section, candidates can visit the General English for Competitive Exams page linked here.
How to prepare for CAPF Exam?
The Assistant Commandant exam comprises written Test, Physical and Medical Test and then the candidates qualify for the final round of Interview.
But, before all this, candidates must know that their marks for Paper-II will be evaluated only if they are able to obtain minimum qualifying marks in Paper-I of CAPF exam. Therefore, the candidates have to prepare meticulously for each level of the UPSC CAPF exam.
Check 10 common mistakes committed by candidates during the examination, so that you can avoid these while taking the CAPF exam.
If the candidate is serious enough, instils the right CAPF preparation strategies and study materials then even self-study is enough to get him through CAPF AC Exam 2020.
Candidates must follow certain strategies to prepare for the CAPF recruitment exam 2020.
UPSC CAPF Preparation Strategies
Competitive exams are best prepared with the right strategies. Preparing the CAPF exam based on the weightage of each section gives an edge.
- Set a schedule for your CAPF preparation and make sure you stick to it.
- Socialize with people who are preparing for the same or have already qualified the Assistant Commandant exam. Utilise this time to discuss preparation and clarifying doubts.
- While studying make notes and your personal study material. These are short and effective and helps for last-minute revision. However, for some topics you will have to do in-depth studies.
- Listen to the short news and do not waste time listening to unnecessary news based on discussion unless the topic demands it.
- Speed up your learning by following some memory techniques.
- Give tests and practice writing answers frequently. Practise mock papers, identify your mistakes and the area where you lack knowledge. This is an essential part of regular preparations for successful candidates. Also, it helps to increase your speed to solve the exam on time.
Candidates can go through preparation strategies for competitive exams to do diligent preparation for the examination.
Booklist for CAPF Exam Preparation
Abundant study material for CAPF exam preparation is available both online and offline. It is important for candidates to select the best books for their UPSC CAPF preparation.
Generally, aspirants are suggested to start their Central Armed Police Force preparation with NCERT books and then move on to referred books.
Frankly, different candidates have different knowledge and expertise in different subjects, therefore, the criteria of best books vary for all.
However, choosing the right books for different stages for CAPF exam is really important. Paper-I comprises only objective type questions with negative marking and Paper-II contains descriptive essay type questions.
Checking the government exam previous year’s questions will help the candidates with a good score.
Therefore, the candidates should be selective about the CAPF preparation books.
Below mentioned is the list of books suggested by experts as per the stages of CAPF exam-
|CAPF preparation books for Paper-I|
Paper-II of CAPF exam tests language proficiency and general studies knowledge of the candidates in a descriptive format.
The booklist for the same is prescribed below.
|CAPF preparation books for Paper-II|
|General Studies||History, Indian Heritage & Culture||
|Polity & International Relations||
|Comprehension and Essay||English Language||
Apart from the above- mentioned UPSC CAPF preparation books, candidates must upkeep themselves with day to day happenings in and around the world.
For better exam preparation, candidates can take the government exam mock tests for practice.
The essential UPSC CAPF Study Material includes:
- 2nd ARC Report
- Latest Budget
- Economic Survey (latest)
- Finance Commission Report (latest)
- Niti Aayog Action Agenda
- Annual reports by central ministries
- Current Affairs-
- The Hindu
- Yojana Magazine
- Press Information Bureau
CAPF Syllabus and Exam Pattern
Candidates who wish to write Assistant Commandant exam must be thorough with CAPF syllabus and exam pattern of Assistant Commandant exam.
The written examination of CAPF will comprise two papers and will be bilingual i.e. both in English and Hindi language.
UPSC CAPF exam pattern is as follows:
|Highlights of CAPF exam pattern|
|Paper-I (10am-12pm)||Objective type; 250 marks|
|Paper-II (2 pm- 5 pm)||Subjective type; 200 marks|
|Physical Efficiency Test||Candidates who qualify the above two|
|Personality test/Interview||150 marks|
Highlights of Assistant Commandant Syllabus is as follows:
|UPSC CAPF Syllabus 2020|
|Paper-I||General Ability||Problem Solving, Arithmetical Reasoning, Decision Making, Arithmetic Number Series, Coding and Decoding, Figural Classification, Statement Conclusion, Relationship Concepts, etc.|
|Intelligence||General Mental Ability, General Science, Current Events of National and International Importance, Indian and World Geography, History of India and Indian Polity and Economy,|
|Paper-II||General Studies||Indian History, Indian Geography, Indian National Movement, National and International Current Affairs, Eminent Personalities, Cultural Heritage, About India, Environment, General Polity, General Science, Science and Technology, Economy, Indian Constitution, etc.|
|Comprehension and Essay and English Language||Comprehension, Essay Writing, Precis Writing, Report Writing, Counter Argument, Language and Communication Skills, Grammar, Vocabulary, etc.|
To know the CAPF Syllabus and exam pattern in-depth, candidates can check in the linked article.
|Indo-Tibetian Border Police||Border Security Force|
|Central Industrial Security Force||Central Reserve Police Force|
|Sashastra Seema Bal|
Also, aspirants preparing for other government exams can check the given links for reference:
Frequently Asked Question – UPSC CAPF Preparation
Q.1. How many stages are there in the UPSC CAPF selection process?
Q.2. What are the contents of the English Section of CAPF Syllabus?
Q.3. How to prepare Current Affairs for CAPF 2020?
Q.4.What are the topics covered in CAPF Paper I exam?
Q.5. How many marks does each stage of CAPF exam hold?
Q.6. What are the important History books for CAPF preparation?
NCERT XI & XII and India’s Struggle for Independence – Bipan Chandra.