Dams are said to be an important source of water supply and high importance for various other reasons. They supply the water for the various means like domestic use, irrigation purposes and also for the industrial uses. Dams are also involved in the hydroelectric power generation and in the river navigation. The application of these dams is much more important in daily activities including cooking, cleaning, bathing, washing, drinking water, for the gardening and for the cultivation purpose. Dams and the reservoirs also provide recreational areas for the purpose of fishing and also boating. They also cater the security needs of humans by reducing or by preventing the floods. During the times of excess flow of water, the dams store the water in the reservoir; later they release that water during the times of low flow, also when the natural flows of water are inadequate to meet the demand. When engineer designs and also maintains the dams, they are keenly expected to make sure to keep all purposes in their mind.
Advantages of Dams
Advantages of dams are numerous, that is the reason so much money and work goes into building and maintaining them. Some of the advantages are:
- Electricity is produced at the constant rate with the help of hydroelectricity or hydroelectric power.
- If there is no need for electricity, then the sluice gates can also be closed or stopping the generation of electricity. Water can also be saved for the use of another time as and when the demand for electricity is high hence the usage of water remains judicious.
- Dams are so designed by well-qualified engineers to span many of the decades and also can contribute to the generation of electricity for about many years or even decades to come.
- The lake or reservoir which forms behind the dam can also be used for the irrigation purpose, water sports or even as other forms of pleasurable activities.Few large dams such as the Bhakra Nangal dam present in India is the tourist attractions.
- The buildup of water inside lake means that the energy can also be stored when needed and also when water is released for producing the electricity.
- When used, the produced electricity by the dams does not even produce the greenhouse gases and also hence they do not pollute the atmosphere.
To know more download the BYJU’S app or visit our web page.