Water is one of the basic necessities for every living being and we cannot imagine a life without water. It is the natural resource and the main constituent of our planet earth. Water is the universal solvent and plays a key role in the existence of various forms of life on the planet earth. It is widely used for various purposes such as washing, bathing, cleaning, cooking, drinking, and other industrial and domestic uses.
Water is a colourless and odourless substance that is essential for the survival of living beings. There are various sources of water such as wells, rivers, ponds, lakes, oceans, big dams, and streams. As we all know, nearly 70 to 80 percent of the Earth’s surface is covered by water, among which only 1-2 per cent water is pure and suitable for human use.
Conservation of water mainly refers to protect, preserve, and control the usage of water and its resources. It is the system introduced to manage freshwater, reduce the wastage and protect the water and its resources in order to reduce and to avoid the scarcity. Therefore, we all should come forward to create awareness about conservation of water among our own friends, family, neighbours, society, etc. Conservation of water is very much essential as it saves life on earth.
Conserving water helps us by supplying more amount of water for longer usage. It has become necessary in all areas because these natural resources are reducing along with the increasing population and their usages.
There are several ways to conserve water. Here are some important and easy ways for the conservation of water
- Keeping the tap closed when not in use.
- Check for the openings or leaks in water distribution pipes.
- Make sure to use collected rainwater for gardening or washing purpose.
- Always have a measure of how many buckets of water is wasted in a day and try to reduce.
- Do not run more water than necessary while washing and cleaning clothes, utensils, etc.
- Do not prolong your bathing. Go for a quick shower rather than wasting buckets of water
- Rainwater harvesting is one of the best method used for conserving water. There are different methods used to preserve rainwater instead of getting it wasted.
Also, read about Rainwater Harvesting
Farmers can also contribute to this system of conservation of water by using Drip irrigation system in their fields. This is a type of irrigation system which can be practised by all framers to save water. In this system, water is directly supplied to the plant roots and prevents water from being wasted by evaporation.
These were a few information on how can we Conserve Water, and some preventive measures are taken to Conserve Water.
Stay tuned with BYJU’S to learn more in detail about the best and different ways to conserve water.