Ecology is the branch of science that deals with the relationship of organisms with each other and with the surroundings. Ecology is studied at the organism, population, community, ecosystem, and biosphere levels. It refers to any form of biodiversity. The study of ecology is closely related to the field of genetics, physiology, evolution, and behaviour. Given below are important MCQs on Ecology to analyse your understanding of the topic. The answers are also given for your reference.
1. The natural place of an organism or community is known as
2. Which is the renewable exhaustible natural energy resource?
Also read: Coal and Petroleum
3. According to Shelford’s Law of Tolerance, the organisms wide environmental factor tolerance limit show
- Narrow distribution with low population size
- Wide distribution with high population size
- Narrow distribution with high population size
- Wide distribution with low population size
4. Plants growing under direct sunlight are known as
5. Plants growing under shade are known as
6. An orchid living on a tree exhibit
Also read: Parasitism
7. Which statement is correct with respect to the food chain?
- Every component of food chain forms trophic level
- Inter-relation between different food chains is known as a food web
- All the chains formed by nutritional relations is used to understand energy flow.
- All of the above
8. The process of vernalization is practised in
- Cold countries
- Hot countries
- Only in sub-tropical countries
- Only in tropical countries
Also read: Photoperiodism and Vernalization
9. Which of the following requires maximum energy?
- Secondary consumer
- Primary consumer
- Primary producer
10. The bottom area where production is less than respiration in a pond ecosystem is termed as
- Profundal zone
- Tidal zone
- Benthic zone
- Limnetic zone
Also read: Aquatic Ecosystem
11. Which is not the characteristic of ‘r’ selected species?
- Reproduce quickly
- Parental care
- A low survival rate of progenies
- Produce a large number of progenies
12. Which is not the characteristic of a population?
- Sex ratio
Also read: Introduction to Population Growth
13. Lincoln index measures
- Population mortality rate
- Population natality rate
- Population size
- Population density
14. Allelopathy refers to
- Inhibition of growth of one species by another by the production of toxins
- Inhibition of sporulation of pathogen by the host
- Altering the reproductive cycle of one organism by another
- Inhibition of growth of one species by another by preventing reproduction
15. The ratio between energy flow at different points in a food chain is known as
- Ecological capacity
- Ecological efficiency
- Ecological assimilation
- Ecological potential
Also read: Energy Flow in an Ecosystem
16. The ability of a population to increase under ideal environmental conditions is called
- Carrying capacity
- Biotic potential
- Absolute natality
17. In an ecosystem, the energy flow is always
- Always unidirectional
- Always bidirectional
- In any direction
- Always down directional
Also read: Ecosystem
18. In thermal stratification, the middle region which shows vertical temperature change is called
19. Select a non-denitrifying bacteria
- Pseudomonas aeruginosa
- Thiobacillus denitrificans
- Bacillus ramosus
20. Which one is a ‘K’ selected species?
21. All species of Lemur are endemic to which area?
- Seychelles Island
- Galapagos Island
- New Caledonia
22. The upper part of an aquatic ecosystem contains
- both (1) and (2)
23. What type of food chain is it?
dead animals → blow fly maggot → maggots → frog → snake
- Detrital food chain
- Decomposer food chain
- Predator food chain
- Grazing food chain
24. Identify the mismatched pair
- Tundra – Permafrost
- Savanna – Acacia trees
- Prairie – Epiphytes
- Coniferous forest – Evergreen trees
25. “The pyramid of energy is always upright” states that
- The energy conversion efficiency of herbivores is better than carnivores
- The energy conversion efficiency of carnivores is better than herbivores
- Producers have the lowest energy conversion efficiency
- Energy conversion efficiency is the same in all trophic levels.
26. The population of birds declined in an area where DDT was extensively used. Why?
- The birds stopped laying eggs
- The eggs laid by the birds did not hatch
- The snakes ate the eggs
- The DDT spray killed all the birds
27. Which of the following lake zones has phytoplanktons in abundance?
- Littoral zone
- Benthic zone
- Lemnitic zone
- Profoundal zone
28. Plant species with a wide range of genetic distribution evolve into a local population known as
29. dB is the abbreviation used for the quantitative expression of
- Density of bacteria in a medium
- A Particular Pollutant
- Dominant Bacillus in a culture
- A pesticide
30. The egg shell of birds becomes thin by the pollution from pesticides due to the interference in the activity of
For more information on Biology topics or to find other MCQs, explore BYJU’S website.