The condition in which fruits are developed without the formation of seeds. This is mainly due to the absence of fertilization, pollination and embryo development. In botany, parthenocarpy means virgin fruit. These types of fruits are generally seedless.
Types of parthenocarpy
Parthenocarpy can be categorized into two parts, which are
- Vegetative parthenocarpy – This generally takes place without pollination and due to the absence of pollination, no seeds are formed.
- Stimulative parthenocarpy – This generally takes place without the process of fertilization. This condition occurs when the ovipositor of a wasp is inserted into the ovary of a flower. This can also be achieved by flowing air or growth regulators into the unisexual flowers that are present inside the syconium.
- Parthenocarpy helps the grower to keep the insects and pests away without even using chemicals. Because there is no requirement of pollinating insects for the formation of fruits. So the plants can be covered from getting attacked by the bad insects.
- This improves crop yield even without using organic pesticides.
- Plant growth regulators are natural and the fruits produced are larger.
- This is more healthful and easier to achieve results.
Pineapple, banana, cucumber, grape, watermelon, orange, grapefruit, pear, fig etc.
To learn more about Parthenocarpy, download Byju’s-The Learning App.
Practise This Question