Acromegaly is a hormonal disorder that leads to the abnormal growth of hands, feet and etc as shown in the below image This disorder is caused due to the excessive production of the Growth Hormone (GH) produced by the Pituitary gland.
The causes Acromegaly
The Growth Hormone is produced by the Pituitary gland, so due to the excessive growth of this gland, the surrounding nerves tissues get compressed. Also, they compress the optic nerves. This is the cause of the growth of the bone and the organ enlargement. People suffering from this disease have much larger bones when compared to the people without acromegaly. It is estimated that almost 95% of the people affected by this disease have a tumor affecting the pituitary gland.
Symptoms of Acromegaly
Some of the symptoms related to Acromegaly are given below:
- Excessive growth of hair in women.
- Enlargement of the bones present in the hands, face, and the feet.
- Enlargement of jaws or tongue.
- Abnormal weight gain.
- The painful and the swollen joints limit the movement.
- People develop more spaces amidst the teeth.
- The fingers and the toes are widespread.
- A hoarse voice.
- Excess fatigue.
- Frequent headaches.
- Develop weakness in the muscles.
- Profuse sweating.
- Develop odor in the body.
- The sebaceous glands are enlarged and the skin is thickened.
- Develop tags on the skin, usually of noncancerous growths.
Treatment of Acromegaly
At the beginning stage of this disease, the symptoms would be too low. Acromegaly is mostly found in the adults who are aged around 30 to 50, but there are chances of getting the symptoms at any age. Hence, proper treatment would reduce it to some extent-
The necessary treatments are listed below:-
- Reducing the growth hormones production to normal levels
- Not pressurizing the areas which are affected by Pituitary tumor
- Treatment of any hormone deficiency and improving the symptoms of Acromegaly.
- Taking necessary treatments such as radiation treatment. This radiation technique is usually adopted to destroy the large tumor cells which help in the reduction of GH levels. If and so this disease is left untreated, it is sure to cause so many serious health disorders.
Stay tuned with Byju’s to learn more about Acromegaly.
Practise This Question