The Red Data Book is a type of a public document, which is created for the recordings of endangered and rare species including plants, animals, fungi as well as some local subspecies, which are present within the region of the state or country. The red data book helps us in providing complete information for research, studies and also for monitoring the programs on rare and endangered species and their habits. This book is mainly created to protect those species, which are on the verge of extinction, lost, harmed or not able to continue their life cycle. These species can either be animals, birds or plants.
There are enormous species, which were extinct long before the life exist on the planet earth. The International Union for Conservation of Nature was founded with an aim to maintain the complete record of every species.
The International Union for Conservation of Nature – IUCN, which was established in the year 1964 maintains Red Data Book. IUCN is the world’s wide inventory centre of the global conservation status of biological species. The Red Data Book contains the complete list of threatened species. The main aim behind this documentation is to provide complete information for research and analysis of different existence species. It is from the Russian Federation, hence also called Russian Red Data Book.
The Red Data Book contains color-coded information sheets, which are arranged according to the dangerous species. The black coloured sheet for species which are extinct, red coloured sheet for species that are more dangerous, amber coloured for those species, which is getting attacked by other species, white coloured for very rare species, green coloured for non-dangerous species and grey coloured for the species that are intimated to be vulnerable, endangered, or rare The extinct, dangerous, unknown and non-dangerous are the three main categories. Apart from the species dangerous, this book also has information about the reason for the species to become extinct along with the population trends and range.
The Advantage of the red data book.
- It helps in identifying all animals, birds and other species, about their extinct and endangered species
- It is used to evaluate the total wild animals’ population present.
- The data available in this book can be used to evaluate the taxa at the global level.
- With the help of this book, we can estimate the risk of taxa becoming globally extinct.
- The red book has the complete information about all endangered animals, plants and other species.
The Disadvantage of the red data book.
- The information available in the red data book is incomplete. Many species both extinction and present are not updated in this book.
- The criteria are applied here is only within the territory of the state.
- This book maintains the complete record of all animals, plants, other species but it has no information about the microbes.
Stay tuned with Byju’s to learn more about red data book.
Practise This Question