Determiners are words that ae used to introduce and modify nouns in a context just like adjectives do. Getting yourself thorough with its use can be done by working out some exercises on determiners. Check out the exercises given in the article to check your understanding of the same.
Determiners Exercises with Answers
Work out the exercises given below and also check the answers to see if you got everything right.
Exercise 1: Complete the sentences with the right determiners.
Complete the sentences given below with the suitable determiners given in brackets.
- Meg used ___ sketch pens to complete her project. (this/these)
- I had ___ rice today. (enough/all)
- ___ picture was painted by Picasso. (that/those)
- The book belongs to ___. (her/hers)
- Can you give me ___ notebook? (the/an)
- Sam stood ____ in the class. (first/one)
- Mave is ___ honest man. (a/an)
- ___ students were called to the principal’s office. (any/some)
- Do you know ___ scarf this is? (whose/their)
- ___ Qutub Minar belongs to the Sultanate Period in India. (an/the)
- __ box of chocolates belongs to Rachel. (these/that)
- Is there ___ food left in the fridge? (many/any)
- Can I get ___ hot bowl of soup? (a/an)
- There aren’t ___ boys in the park. (some/any)
- Freya got ___ beautiful souvenir from Paris. (a/an)
Exercise 2: Fill the blanks with right determiners
Read the passage and fill in the blanks with appropriate determiners.
Once upon __ time, there lived __ king who was known for __ judgements. One day ___ women came holding __ baby, and both claimed they were __ mothers. Both women were crying hard for __ baby, and __ king was finding it difficult to believe who was saying ___ truth. So ___ king asked ___ guards to cut ___ baby in half and give ___ half to both ___ women. ___ woman who was holding __ baby accepted ___ decision whereas ___ other woman started begging ___ king to give ___ baby to the other woman. Seeing ___, the king immediately understood who __ real mother was. The king said that __ real mother would never let __ harm befall on __ child, and that is why the second woman asked to give away the child to the first woman. She did not want any harm on __ child and would rather give the baby away to someone else. Finally __ king gave __ baby to __ real mother.
Once upon a time, there lived a king who was known for his judgments. One day two women came holding a baby, and both claimed they were the mothers. Both women were crying hard for the baby, and the king was finding it difficult to believe who was saying the truth. So the king asked the guards to cut the baby in half and give each half to both the women. The woman who was holding the baby accepted that decision whereas the other woman started begging the king to give the baby to the other woman. Seeing this, the king immediately understood who the real mother was. The king said that a real mother would never let any harm befall on her child, and that is why the second woman asked to give away the child to the first woman. She did not want any harm on her child and would rather give the baby away to someone else. Finally, the king gave the baby to its real mother.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are determiners?
Determiners are those words that precede a noun to refer to something particular/specific. For example, “Those books are old.” Here, ‘those’ is a determiner as it refers to something specific, i.e. the ‘books’.
Do articles come under determiners?
Yes, the articles (a/an/the) are considered to be determiners.