To make sure that students can identify the past continuous tense examples, they should be taught about what’s past continuous tense. Past continuous tense is one of the four types of past tense. This article will talk about the different aspects that are needed to understand past continuous tense. Let’s have a look at them.
- What is past continuous tense?
- Examples of past continuous tense
- How can past continuous tense be formed?
- FAQs on past continuous tense examples
What is Past Continuous Tense?
Past continuous tense refers/denotes to those actions/events that were happening for a particular time in the past. For example, “Sam was writing a letter to his friend.” Here, ‘was writing’ refers to an action that Sam was doing in the past.
Examples of Past Continuous Tense
The following examples will help students understand better all about past continuous tense.
List of Past Continuous Tense Examples
- It was snowing yesterday.
- They were eating at the restaurant.
- You were working yesterday.
- I was studying last night.
- I was waiting for the cab when I met Raj.
- The children were shouting when the teacher came in.
- It was midnight when it was raining.
- Everyone was clapping.
- Raj was practising the guitar after classes.
- The baby was laughing when I came into the room.
- The children were playing in the garden.
- The girls were dancing as the music played.
- The child was eating an apple.
- Trina was going to the library.
- The dog was barking in the night.
- The students were not studying for the test.
- The armies were going to war.
- My mother was baking a cake for me.
- The birds were chirping in the sky.
- The kite was flying in the sky.
How Can Past Continuous Tense Be Formed?
Converting from one form to another of tense is a common topic from where tense questions can be formed. How would one convert a sentence given in any other tense form to past continuous tense form? This could only be possible if they know how past continuous tenses are formed. Past continuous tense can be formed in the following way:
Subject + Be form (was/were) + ‘ing’ form of verb.
For example, “My brother was cooking dinner yesterday.” Here, the subject is ‘my brother’, which is used with the ‘be’ form, i.e. ‘was’, and with the ‘ing’ form of the verb, i.e. cooking.
This article on past continuous tense examples will prove to be beneficial for students. This article will help the students understand all about past continuous tense and thus help them to solve various worksheets. Students can also look for different speech topics and other topics of English Language at BYJU’S website.
Frequently Asked Questions on Past Continuous Tense Examples
What is past continuous tense?
Past continuous tense refers to those actions/events that were happening for a particular time in the past.
Example of past continuous tense.
“Sheldon was going on a college trip.” This sentence is an example of past continuous tense.