Plants are nature’s gift. The world without plants is unthinkable. Plants are living organisms upon which different organisms depend on for food, shelter, etc. They packed with a lot of roles to act. They act as the source of food and oxygen, ornamental functions; maintaining the ecological balance etc. For better understanding we need to know its different parts and their functions. Let’s have a glance of different parts of shoot system and their functions in an ecosystem.
Shoot system is one of the two important systems of plants. Shoot system of a plant includes all its aerial parts such as leaves, stems, buds, flowers, and fruits. Each part of plants has distinctive roles to play. They do their functions to support its life as well as others.
Different parts of shoot system and their functions are as follows:
Leaves are most crucial part of shoot system. Primarily, leaves have three functions:
- Photosynthesis: Green leaves prepare food for plants by using water and carbon dioxide in the presence of sunlight. This is the process called photosynthesis.
- Transpiration: Other than photosynthesis, leaves play a crucial role in the removal of excess of water from plants through tiny pores called stomata. This is the process of transpiration.
- Reproduction: Leaves of some plants helps in reproduction also. For e.g. leaves ofBryophyllum give rise to a new Bryophyllum plant.
Stems are the long, supportive axis of plants. Stems might be strong and woody as in trees or thin and green like in herb. Functions of stem include:
- Support: Primary function of the stem is to hold up buds, flowers, leaves, and fruits to the plant. Along with the roots, a stem anchors the plants and helps them to stand upright.
- Transportation: It is the part which transports water and minerals from the root and prepared food from leaves to other parts of the plant.
- Storage: Stems are one of the storerooms in plants where the prepared food stored in the form of starch.
- Reproduction: Few stems help in reproduction through vegetative propagation.
Flowers are the most beautiful and colorful part of a plant. Also, they are the reproductive part of a plant. A flower has four major parts, namely,
- Petals: It is the colorful part of a flower which attracts insects and birds to it.
- Sepals: Sepals are green leafy parts present under petals and protect the flower buds from damage.
- Stamens: This is the male part of flower consist of two parts, namely anther and filament.
- Pistil: This is the female part of flower consist of stigma, style, and ovary.
All these part help in reproduction in plants and ultimately, give rise to a new plant.
Fruits are also a part of shoot system which encloses seeds within them. They have developed from the ovaries in the flowers of the plants. They also store food in them.
To learn more on other biology topics with video lessons download Byju’s -The Learning app.