This article on adverb examples will help you brush up your knowledge of adverbs. An adverb can be defined as a word that modifies or gives more information about a verb, an adjective or another adverb. They describe when, where, why, how and how often an action takes place.
In this article,
- Examples of Adverbs
- Examples of adverbs in sentences that tell us when an action is happening
- Example of adverbs in sentences that describe how an action is taking place
- Adverbs examples in sentences of place which answer to the question ‘where’
- Adverbs examples in sentences of degree show the extent to which an action takes place
- List of adverbs examples of frequency that describe how often an action takes place
- FAQs on Adverbs
According to its function, adverbs can be classified into different types like adverb of time, adverb of place, adverb of manner, adverb of degree and adverb of frequency. An adverb is placed either after the verb it modifies or before the adjective or before the adverb it modifies. Examples of adverbs of time, place, manner, frequency and degree as used in sentences are given below for your better understanding.
Examples of Adverbs
Adverbs make sentences better, and also your writing more descriptive and interesting. Let us look at the examples of adverbs given below.
Examples of adverbs in sentences that tell us when an action is happening:
- I go to school every day.
- I came home yesterday.
- We went to the clinic last week.
- Sandra will go to London next month.
- My cousins are going to see a movie tomorrow.
- The food we ordered will be here soon.
- Will you come along with me to the store the day after tomorrow?
- Last year, we visited our grandparents in Bangalore.
- She came home late.
- Come and have breakfast now.
Example of adverbs in sentences that describe how an action is taking place:
- She was walking slowly.
- My friend and I ran quickly to get the bus.
- He stopped the car abruptly.
- My grandfather smiled cheerfully.
- Dina spoke boldly in front of a huge audience.
- The little boy smiled awkwardly after having pushed down a rack of toys.
- Sarah drove cautiously as the road was steep.
- They got here easily.
- Little Diana had dressed elegantly for her fifth birthday party.
- Blake waited eagerly to see what was inside the biggest box.
Adverbs examples in sentences of place which answer to the question ‘where’:
- I would like to go somewhere to free my mind.
- Serena had to go downstairs to collect the mail.
- I carried my umbrella along with me when I went outside.
- Tom searched everywhere for the missing key.
- They opened a shop nearby.
- She took her brother inside when it started raining.
- The baby girl crawled towards her mother.
- What are you doing here?
- We have to keep walking downhill till we find a place to rest.
- We had been waiting for them for a long time. Here they are.
Adverbs examples in sentences of degree show the extent to which an action takes place:
- I was completely satisfied with the end result.
- The doctor was not fully aware of the patient’s previous medical history.
- Mom arrived home late, and she was extremely tired.
- Amy regretted deeply for her mistake.
- The little boy was least bothered about the mess he had created.
- Raina barely knew the guy next door.
- How far did you go to find this?
- The teacher was highly appreciated for her constant efforts in producing good results.
- The doctors did not think it would be nearly possible to save him.
- The dress fit her perfectly well.
List of adverbs examples of frequency that describe how often an action takes place.
- I take the metro daily.
- She seldom finds it difficult to finish her work on time.
- I have always wanted to go on a roller coaster.
- Jonah often goes to work on his motorcycle.
- Katie and Kyle take this bus regularly.
- Banio, Bella and Brady never liked to go swimming.
- The teacher rarely found students running around on the ground.
- Harish hardly ever found the right answer.
- Tom got caught frequently.
- The lady wore traditional clothes occasionally.
Frequently Asked Questions on Adverbs
What are some examples of adverbs?
Quickly, slowly, yesterday, last week, here, there, today, daily, never, rarely, extremely, annually, etc., are some examples of adverbs.
What are the types of adverbs?
Types of adverbs include adverbs of frequency, adverbs of degree, adverbs of time, adverbs of place and adverbs of manner.