DRDO Varunastra is an Indian advanced heavyweight anti-submarine torpedo, developed by Naval Science and Technological Laboratory (NSTL) of the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) for the Indian Navy. It is named after a legendary weapon created by the Hindu god of the oceans, Varuna.
Know in detail about the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO)
DRDO Varunastra – Why in the News?
Varunastra has been in news recently because the DRDO has flagged off first Varunastra, the heavyweight Torpedo on November 21st 2020.
Hence, the facts about Varunastra mentioned in the article shall help candidates preparing for IAS exam.
Also, aspirants preparing for Government exams should go through the article as DRDO Varunastra forms an important part of the general awareness section of these exams.
|Candidates preparing for various competitive exams can go through the following links for their preparation-
What is Varunastra?
Varunastra is a ship-launched, heavyweight, electrically-propelled anti-submarine torpedo capable of targeting quiet submarines, both in deep and shallow waters in an intense countermeasures environment.
What is Torpedo?
Torpedo is a cigar-shaped, self-propelled underwater missile, launched from a submarine, surface vessel, or air plane and designed for exploding upon contact with the hulls of surface vessels and submarines.
Candidates can check the links given below related to Missiles for exam preparation.
|BrahMos – India’s Fastest Missile
|Missiles in India
|Surface to Air Missile (SAM)
|Surface to Surface Missile
|Anti Tank Guided Missiles (ATGM)
|Air to Air Missile (AAM)
DRDO Varunastra – Key Points
- Varunastra has been inducted in the Indian Navy on June 26th 2016 by Defense Minister Manohar Parrikar. Aspirants can go through the List of Indian Navy Admirals on the given link.
- It can be fired from all ASW ships capable of firing heavyweight torpedoes.
- In June 2019, Indian Ministry of Defence awarded a contract worth INR 1,187 crores (US$170 million) to Bharat Dynamics Limited to supply Varunastra to the Indian Navy.
- The torpedo is jointly manufactured by Bharat Dynamics Limited and the Naval Science and Technology Laboratory for Indian Navy.
- NSTL – Naval Science & Technological Laboratory Visakhapatnam was established on August 20, 1969, to undertake research and development of complete major naval systems (Underwater Mines, Torpedoes, Fire Control Systems, Weapon Launchers, Targets, Decoys, etc) for the Indian Navy to make it self-reliant.
- Bharat Dynamics Limited (BDL) is an enterprise of Government of India under the Ministry of Defence. It was established in Hyderabad in the year 1970 as a manufacturing base for guided missiles and allied defence equipment. BDL is associated with DRDO for various missile programmes and is the production agency for Quick Reaction Surface to Air Missile (QRSAM). It is also the production agency for Astra Air- to- Air Missile System which is indigenously developed by the DRDO for the Indian Air Force (IAF)
- Varunastra is the only torpedo in the world to have a GPS-based locating aid.
- The specifications of Varunastra Torpedo is as follows-
- DRDO Varunastra weighs 1500 kilograms and is 7 to 8 metres long.
- The operational range of the torpedo is 40 kilometres.
- The maximum speed it can attain is 74 km/ph. while the maximum depth is 400 metres.
- It can carry a warhead weighing 250 kg.
- Varunastra is powered by Silver Oxide Zinc (AgOZn) batteries.
- The torpedo can be launched both from Ship and Submarine.
Aspirants preparing for any government exams can visit the link provided to prepare even better for the examination-
- Free Online Quiz for Government Exams
- Government Exams Free Mock Test Series
- Government Exam Previous Year Question Papers with Solution PDFs
Sample Questions on DRDO Varunastra
Q1. Varunastra torpedo launched by BDL in association with NSTL is ___.
- Surface to air missile
- Anti Submarine Torpedo
- Air to surface missile
- Anti-tank missile
Answer – Anti Submarine Torpedo
Q2. DRDO tested heavyweight torpedo, what is the name of HWT?
Answer – Varunastra
Related Links for Preparation
Aspirants preparing for the UPSC exam can check the links given below –
You can also check out the preparation strategies for competitive exams to fine-tune your exam prep.