Writing a thank you note to someone is an art. There are no hard and fast rules for writing a thank you note, but it creates a good impression on the recipient. A thank you note can be written to an interviewer, your relatives, friends, seniors, etc. Also, in every letter or an email, we can include a thank you note towards the end of the letter. Saying thank you is an act of showing appreciation and gratitude to the other person and creates a good impression.
Table of Contents
- Why Is a Thank You Letter Important?
- What to Include in a Thank You Letter?
- Tips to Write a Heart-Warming Thank You Letter
- Types and Templates of Thank You Letters
- Frequently Asked Questions on Thank You Letter
Why Is a Thank You Letter Important?
There are numerous reasons to write a thank you letter. A thank you letter can be sent to someone you met at an event and gave you business ideas or business leads, anyone who helped you, a colleague who helped you with your job when you were on leave, etc. Apart from the official circumstances, they can also be sent to your friends and family. For example, to your grandma who had sent you a handwoven blanket. There was a time when thank you cards were sent to people as a norm in return for such gifts.
What to Include in a Thank You Letter?
When you sit down to write or type out a thank you letter, make sure you include the following.
- The address of the sender and the date on which the letter is being written, followed by the receiver’s address (only if it is a formal letter and is to be sent by post)
- In other cases, you can mention just the date.
- The way you address the person matters a lot. So, see to it that your salutation is respectful. For example, Dear Mr/Ms/Mrs (Name of the person) in formal letters; Hello/Hey (Name of the receiver) or Dear (Name of the receiver) if it is an informal letter.
- The body of the letter should include an account of what you are thankful for. Be careful not to use too many long-winded sentences. Keep it short and direct.
- Use an appropriate complimentary closing to end the letter.
- Proofread and edit the letter, if required.
Tips to Write a Heart-Warming Thank You Letter
Just saying ‘Thank you’ in person is easier than putting it in writing in a letter. Don’t you agree? Here are a few tips to help you write a heartfelt thank you letter.
- Use a polite and respectful salutation
- Write what you genuinely feel. Never hesitate to be grateful for even the simplest thing someone has done for you.
- Emphasise on how they have helped/motivated/encouraged you.
- Use positive words but do not exaggerate. Your letter should not be deceiving. Be honest.
- Try to keep it short. One paragraph or two short paragraphs (in case you think it has to be in different paragraphs) will do.
- Sending a thank you letter after a week or month is of little to no significance. See to it that you send one, if you are planning to, at the earliest.
Types and Templates of Thank You Letters
There need not be any special reason to write a thank you letter. It is written just to be grateful to someone who has helped you with something. We have provided a few situations where sending a thank you letter can be really helpful and courteous.
Thank You Letter for Job Interview
You have made your first impression by cracking the job interview. Now, do not forget to thank your interviewers for giving the opportunity to attend the interview and proving your skills and talents. Make sure that your letter does not sound like a self-praising letter.
Thank you notes do not have to be formal. It should be genuine and courteous. The purpose is to express gratitude for the interviewer’s time and effort.
Given below are a few samples below to help you write a thank you letter.
Dear Mr. [Interviewer],
Thank you for the kind words you shared with me yesterday during the interview for the content developer post in your company. It was a pleasure connecting with you and getting to know about your interests and your dedication towards the content marketing team and its growth. I had been working as a content writer intern and my previous experiences have given me an idea about working as a team towards a common goal.
As per the discussions, you mentioned that you will take one week of time before you take the final decision. I am certainly excited to be considered for the post and shall wait patiently for your decision. Please let me know if there is any further information that I can provide. Your words of advice were truly inspiring and valuable to me. Thank you for spending your time and effort for the interview and giving me a chance to be considered for the post.
Thank You Letter to Colleague
Thanking your colleague is a nice gesture. It might sound formal but is a sweet gesture showing appreciation and gratitude to your colleague. It is a professional gesture that can never go unnoticed. Although the letter can be written in an informal way, there is a format that can be followed. The language of the letter can be informal and the template has been given below.
I am really thankful to you for your help in preparing last day’s presentation and thank you for being a great partner in the presentation. It would not have been possible without your help. I just want you to know that you are an extremely talented person with a kind heart. We would have never met the expectations without your coordination.
Thanks again. Cheers to our successful presentation. We did a great job!
Thank You Letter to Family and Friends
A thank you letter is not only written to office mates, but also to your family and friends. It is a great way of expressing your appreciation and gratitude to the other person. The language in the letter can be casual and informal. It does not need to be formal or restricted.
Thank you for your help in the celebration. You played a major role in organising the whole party. The management was really appreciative. Thank you for giving your valuable time and energy. Starting from the booking to all kinds of decorations, you did play a major role. It would have been really tough for me to handle everything here, and I would have ended up cancelling the plan of reunion without your energetic presence.
I would love to take you to our favourite hangout place once you are back in town. We will connect over call and arrange one more reunion soon.
Thank you again.
Frequently Asked Questions on Thank You Letter
Why is a thank you letter essential?
A thank you letter is essential to show gratitude and respect to the ones who have helped you. A thank you letter is the best way to show your appreciation.
What is a thank you letter, and to whom is it written?
A thank you letter is a kind of letter which can be written to colleagues, senior officers, job interviewers, friends, families, relatives, etc.