What is Electromagnetic Pulse?
An electromagnetic pulse or EMP, also called as transient form of electromagnetic disturbance, is a kind of burst of an electromagnetic radiation. This pulse is originated due to the natural occurrence or even man-made. It occurs as radiated, even electric or an magnetic field and also a conducted electrical current which depends upon the source.
The result of the EMP can be distructful. The event of EMP occurs regularly in Sun and other stars, but with less intensity. If the intensity of the EMP is very high, then it will reach earth’s surface and destroy infrastructures such as communication system, electrical infrastructure, radio and television broadcast and much more.
For instance, event like EMP such as the lightning strike may damage the physical objects like buildings and can also causes harm to living beings on earth.
Electromagnetic Pulse General Characteristics:
An electromagnetic pulse is like a electromagnetic radiation. The meaning of short duration is it can spread about range of different frequencies. Here are the general characterized of E. pulse.
- Type of the energy whether radiated or electric or magnetic
- The range or the spectrum of different frequencies that are present.
- In the Pulse waveform, kind of shape, its duration and the amplitude.
Electromagnetic Pulse Frequency Ranges:
The electromagnetic pulse energy typically comprise of various frequencies of DC to some kind of upper limit that depends on source. The range can be defined as the EMP, which can also be referred as DC to the daylight, excluding the highest form of frequencies which comprises the optical and ionizing ranges.
Electromagnetic Pulse Waveforms:
The waveform describes as to how the instantaneous amplitude changes with time. The Real pulses usually tends to be complicated, and so the simplified kind of models are used.
As shown in the diagram, most of the pulses are said to have very sharp form of leading edge, built quickly up to an maximum level. However, the double form of exponential curve, also known as classic model, that climbs deeply and also quickly reaches the peak and then tends to decay slowly.
Types of Electromagnetic Pulse:
Different types of Electromagnetic Pulse arise from the man-made and natural, and also the weapons effects.
Types of different natural Pulses event that occur includes:
- Lightning pulse
- Electrostatic discharge
- Meteoric EMP
- Coronal Mass Ejection
Types of manmade Electromagnetic Pulse event occurring includes:
- Switching of the electrical circuitry.
- Electric motors create a kind of pulse as and when the internal contacts of electrical circuits make or break the connections.
- The ignition systems of Gasoline engine creates pulses when spark plugs are said to be energized or even fired.
- Continual actions of the digital electronic circuitry.
- Surges in the Power line .
Types of various military Electromagnetic Pulse include:
- Nuclea (NEMP), of nuclear explosion.
- Non-nuclear E. pulse (NNEMP) weapons.
Stay tuned with byju’s to learn more about lightning, electromagnetic wave and many more.