‘Patriotism’ is a term that every individual would have come across from the time they were kids. Like every other quality, understanding what patriotism means is necessary for one to live the life of a patriot. Patriotism also happens to be one of the common speech topics given in schools and colleges for extempore competitions, especially for the ones conducted as part of the Independence Day and Republic Day celebrations.
This article will provide you with information that you can use to prepare a speech on patriotism.
Table of Contents
- What is Patriotism?
- How is Patriotism Important?
- How Can One Be a Patriotic Student?
- Frequently Asked Questions on Patriotism Speech
What is Patriotism?
If you are asked what you understand by the word ‘patriotism’, how would you describe it? You would say it’s love for one’s own country! Yes, that’s the easiest way to describe patriotism. However, patriotism is much more than just loving one’s own country. It means respecting the values that the country represents and working towards the well-being of the country .
The dream of giving India a better tomorrow and making it a free nation is what motivated and prepared people like Bhagat Singh, Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose, Khudiram Bose, Mahatma Gandhi and many others to fight fearlessly and even sacrifice their lives for the country. It is because of these and many other patriots that we are able to enjoy various privileges and stay in a democratic country. Even though our country has become free from British rule, a true patriot will work effortlessly to make the country a better place for all.
If you are a true patriot, you will always work on aspects that are responsible for the country’s development and growth. Upholding the values of your country is also a sign of true patriotism.
How is Patriotism Important?
Now, one may often wonder why loving one’s own country is essential? It is important because it’s not just about loving the country but adhering to its values.
- For a country, every person who is a part of it is its countrymen; a country never segregates or discriminates between its countrymen. If you aspire to be a true patriot, then you must always treat your fellow countrymen as your equals. Once there’s equality, your country will outgrow itself in every aspect.
- India is a secular as well as a democratic state. This means that it is home to people from different ethnicities, and all enjoy the freedom of speech and expression as granted by the Constitution of India. Being a true patriot means you recognise the voice, i.e. opinions and perspectives of others. By doing so, you uphold the values that the country and the Constitution represents.
- For the past two years, India, along with other nations, have been battling against the Covid-19 pandemic. People who have helped their country by following the proper Covid protocols, raising funds or helping other people who needed help, i.e. tried or are still trying to help their country fight against the virus, are the ones who practise the true meaning of patriotism.
How Can One Be a Patriotic Student?
Students might often wonder who a true patriot is. They usually aspire to join the army to defend their country. Though it is one of the ways to show love and respect for the country, there are many simple things one can do to live as a true patriot.
- One should always consider their fellow citizens as equal.
- One should always try and help their fellow citizens.
- One should always respect the opinions and perspectives of their fellow countrymen.
- One should try to work for the betterment of the country as a whole.
Frequently Asked Questions on Patriotism Speech
What is patriotism?
The love and respect and working for the welfare of one’s own country is known as patriotism.
Give the names of some famous patriots of India.
Mahatma Gandhi, Jawaharlal Nehru, Bhagat Singh, Rani Lakshmibai, Sarojini Naidu, Chandra Shekhar Azad are some of the famous patriots India had.