Preparing for the GMAT can certainly be a demanding task especially if you are juggling a full-time job as well. The GMAT exam is considered as one of the measures of admissions by some of the top B-schools in the world. It is an adaptive testing competitive exam which is attempted by individuals all over the world. The exam is aimed at evaluating a candidate’s competencies in the following fields: Quantitative Aptitude, Verbal Reasoning, Analytical Writing and Integrated Reasoning. This is mainly to judge if they are capable of handling the challenging schedules of an MBA program. To be able to score well in this all important exam one has to be well prepared to handle the same. There are many strategies which one can adopt so that they can conquer this exam and achieve their desired scores allowing them to gain admissions into the universities of their choice. Listed below are some of the most vital information which you need to be aware of before you commence your preparation for the GMAT exam.
- Applying for the GMAT exam and choosing the exam date – The first step which you will have to deal with once you have decided to attempt the exam is to enrol for the exam on the official GMAT website. You will have to create an account for yourself providing the relevant information like – First Name, Last Name, Email Address, Date of birth and other details. Then you will proceed to choose your prefered date of exam and also the location where you would like to attempt your exam as well. You will then be redirected to a confirmation page where you can once again verify the details that you have input before you move on to the payments page. On the payment gateway you will have to make the fee payment for the GMAT exam – US $250. Once the same has been done your registration will be complete. You will now be aware of the date of your exam and can anticipate how much time you have left for preparation. The GMAT account also provides you with the option to cancel, reschedule your exam and also to manage your test scores. You will be able to search for the schools you are interested in and want to apply to and accordingly add them to your calendar. It also gives you access to free exam preparation tools as well as mock tests to help you simulate the actual exam taking experience.
- Syllabus of the GMAT exam and the scoring ranges- Now that you have finalized on the date of your exam you will next have to become familiar with the syllabus of the exam for every section. The concepts of the exam are based on middle school and high school Quant and Verbal theories. However this doesn’t mean one can take the preparation lightly since you will be attempting the exam in a timed environment and will hence need to be well versed with all the concepts so that you are able to ace the exam and attain the score which you desire. The scoring for each of the sections is categorized as given below. The Quant and the Verbal sections are given utmost importance and therefore both the sections have a scoring range between 0-60. There is no negative marking in the entire exam and there is also no pass/fail factor in this exam. The Analytical Writing section is scored between 0 to 6 points with a 0.5 increment and finally the Integrated Reasoning section which is graded between 1 to 8 points once again with an increment of 0.5 points.
- An effective study plan is certain to enhance your preparation – The next most critical step is to formulate a detailed study plan which will assist you immensely throughout your preparation. This is even more essential if you are a working professional (as is the case with most of the GMAT aspirants). The study plan can be adjusted as per the time which is available to you and also according to your strengths and weaknesses. In the event that you are studying on your own without any coaching then the study plan acts as your guiding light. It helps to track the progress which you have made with your preparation and also ensures that you don’t miss out on any important topics during the course of your preparation. The study plan can be customized as per your needs and requirements so that you are able to complete studying the syllabus on time.
- Good study materials for the GMAT exam – The study materials contribute significantly as well towards your preparation efforts. With the advancement in technology there is an abundance of materials available online but one needs to make certain that the materials that you use is credible. Your best option is to go for the Official Guides for all the sections of the exam -The Official Guide for GMAT Quantitative Review 2019 , The Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review 2019. Some of the other books which you can opt for are also given below : A Modern Approach to Verbal Reasoning (FULLY SOLVED) , GRE Analytical Writing: Solutions to the Real Essay Topics (Test Prep Series). Preparing for the exam in a systematic manner with the adequate materials is definite to improve your performance in the final exam./li>
- Profile building is mandatory to boost your application during admissions time – The final step with your GMAT preparation will be the profile building activities which is certain to influence your admissions process in the universities of your preference. The SOP, LOR, CGPA scores, Work experience, Internships if any were completed, Online certifications etc. A good profile is bound to increase your chances of getting admitted in the universities of your preference. The admissions committee will prefer to admit individuals who have an overall good profile rather than only academic intelligence. Since they would want candidates who can contribute to their campus through their talents and skills. Thus it is imperative to spend satisfactory time on profile building activities as well in addition to your GMAT exam preparation.
BYJU’S will be glad to help you in your GMAT preparation journey. You can ask for any assistance related to GMAT and MBA from us by calling us at +918884544444. You can write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.