Magnets have been proving its worth every day with its incredible function by making the most strenuous tasks easier. With the uses of magnets, we can do heavy lifting which is not humanly possible to do every day. Magnets play an important role in various devices which can be a small toy or a heavy 100-ton device to pick up heavy metals.
We come across magnets in various forms such as computers, MRI machines or inside some appliances which are used in the house, business or medical industry. The size can be from very small to the large giant like structures.
Various Applications and Uses of Magnets
- We might be using computers in our day to day lives but never wondered the presence of a magnet inside it. Magnetic elements present on a hard disk helps to represent computer data which is later ‘read’ by the computer to extract information.
- Magnets are used inside TVs, Sound speakers and radios. The small coil of wire and a magnet inside a speaker transforms electronic signal to sound vibrations.
- Magnets are used inside a generator to transform mechanical energy to electrical energy where there are other kinds of motors which use magnets to change electrical energy to mechanical energy.
- Electrically charged magnets can help cranes to move large metal pieces.
- Magnets are used in filtering machines which separates metallic ores from crushed rocks.
- It is also used in food processing industries for separating small metallic pieces from grains etc.
- Magnets are used in MRI machines which is used to create an image of the bone structure, organs, and tissues. Even magnets are used to cure cancer.
- At home, you use magnets when you stick a paper on the refrigerator in order to remember something. Attaching a magnetic bottle opener to the fridge can come in handy.
- We often use pocket a compass to find out directions when we are on a trek. The pocket compass uses a magnetic needle to point north.
- The dark strip on the back of debit and credit cards is of magnetic nature and are used to store data just like computers’ hard drives.
- Magnets can help collect all the nails which are scattered on the ground after a repair job.
These were some of the different uses of magnets. Know more about magnets by downloading BYJU’S- Learning App.
Practise This Question
|CBSE Physics Syllabus Class 6||CBSE Physics Syllabus Class 7||CBSE Physics Syllabus Class 8||CBSE Physics Syllabus Class 9||CBSE Physics Syllabus Class 10|