Most people hear this term tossed around some time or the other. This post will try to elucidate upon the basic properties and essential things that one should know if they want to comprehend Quantum Mechanics. So below mentioned are those two pointers one should know necessarily before tackling quantum mechanics.
- Quantum mechanics is everywhere: It’s extremely difficult to notice the quantum effects when large bodies come into play. All things obey the quantum mechanics laws. This was the reason why quantum physics was explored later in theoretical chemistry. Until the physicist had to find an explanation for the shells in which the electron sits around the nucleus they had no use for quantum mechanics.
- It is an area of active research: Dismissing quantum mechanics as a thing of the past will be a mistake. Agreed that the theory was coined a century before but due to the lack of modern instruments research into it was at a primitive state. Quantum mechanics has been applied and accepted into many fields such as optics, computers, thermodynamics, cryptography and also metro-logy. Research in these fields is still active.
- Information is never conveyed non-locally: Things appear and disappear at random but they don’t just travel over stretches of space without going through all the things in between. In the hay-days of quantum mechanics this confusion was a great one but now it has been proved that this theory fits in perfect compatibility with the theory of special relativity. This tells us that entanglement although a non local phenomenon does not have any action.
- It was not denied by Einstein: Quantum mechanics was not denied as a theory by Einstein, although many people have the misconception. He could not have denied the theory as it was successful on such a large scale. What Einstein said was that the theory was incomplete and it was his belief that the random processes of quantum mechanics may have a explanation to them.
- Schrodinger’s Cat is either alive or dead. Surely not both: Macroscopic bodies lose their quantum behavior very fast. This was never well understood by the scientists of that time. This happens because of the regular interactions the body would have to endure.
Stay tuned with Byju’s to learn more about quantum physics, quantum mechanism and much much more.