What is Scintillation Counter?
Scintillation Counter is an instrument that is used for measuring ionizing radiation. “It comprises of the scintillator that generates photons in response to incident radiation”, a PMT tube is used to convert an electronics and electric signal to process the signal.
A scintillation counter is used to detect gamma rays and a presence of a particle. It can also measure the radiation in the scintillating medium, the energy loss or the energy gain. The medium can either be gaseous, liquid or a solid. The scintillator counter is generally comprised of the transparent crystalline material such as glasses, liquids or plastics. One sector of the scintillators is placed (optical contact )with the pin code.
A charged particle loses energy when passing through the scintillator thus leaving the trail of excited molecules and atoms. A rapid interatomic transfer of electronic excitation energy follows, which leads to the burst of scintillator material ( luminescence characteristic. The scintillation response, when a particle stops leading to the light output. The energy loss of a particle is measured when a particle passes completely through a scintillator.
Applications of Scintillation Counter
- Scintillation Counters are widely used in radioactive contamination, radiation survey meters, radiometric assay, nuclear plant safety and medical imaging, that are used to measure radiation.
- There are several counters of mounted on helicopters and some pickup trucks for rapid response in case of a security situation due to radioactive waste or dirty bombs.
- Scintillation counters designed for weighbridge applications, freight terminals, scrap metal yards, border security, contamination monitoring of nuclear waste and ports.
- It is widely used in Screening technologies, In vivo and ELISA alternative technologies, cancer research, epigenetics and Cellular research.
- It also has its applications in Protein interaction and detection, academic research and Pharmaceutical.
- Liquid Scintillation Counter is a type of scintillation counter that is used for measuring the beta emission from the nuclides.
Stay tuned with BYJU’S to learn more about interesting concepts like optics, thermodynamics, mechanics and more with the help of interactive and engaging video lessons.
Frequently Asked Questions
What does scintillation efficiency mean?
The ratio of energy of scintillation light to the energy deposited is known as scintillation efficiency.
What is the purpose of scintillation counter?
Scintillation counter is used for detecting and for measuring ionizing radiation.
What is the use of liquid scintillation counter?
Liquid scintillation counter is used for detecting radioactivity. It is an analytical method used for measuring the radioactivity when light photons are emitted by the sample.
Give an example of scintillation crystal.
Sodium iodide doped with thallium is an example of scintillation crystal.