What is Solenoid?
A solenoid is a coil of wire that acts as a magnet while carrying an electric current. It is a cylindrical coil wound into a tightly packed helix. Solen means “pipe, the channel’ and eidos means “form, shape” in Greek. Andre-Marie Ampere, a French physicist invented the term solenoid. The core material that is used in the solenoid is ferromagnetic in nature ie; magnetic lines of flux are concentrated which increases the inductance of the coil. The magnetic flux can be seen outside the coil near the end of the core material but most of the flux is present within the core material.
What is a Solenoid Engine?
A solenoid engine is defined as the engine that works by passing electricity through the coils which makes the pistons move back and forth due to electromagnetism.
How to make Solenoid Engine?
- ACP sheet
- Fiber reaper pieces
- Fisher plugs, screws (1.5” 2 and 3⁄4” 4)
- Insulated copper wire
- 26 gauge 30 m
- 2 syringes GI (galvanized iron) rod 12-30 cm
- Copper wire 18-30 cm
- Cylindrical magnets and wood wheel
- Angle grinder
- Drilling machine
- Drill bit (4 mm and 6 mm)
- Cigar lighter
- Screwdriver and player
- Cut two similar pieces of ACP sheet and mark the syringe dia on the sheet and remove the unwanted piece.
- Cut 2” from the cylinder part of the syringe and fix it on the sheet.
- Take a 26 gauge copper wire and wind it on to the syringe piece.
- The minimum number turns are 60 and the maximum is as much as possible in order to fix the magnet wire tightly.
- Before getting the piston ready, it is important to understand that the piston has three parts, and they are piston head, connecting rod, and the crank.
- To make a piston head, the cylindrical magnet is used, a fiber reeper-screw is used as a connecting rod and a piece of reeper is used as the crank.
- The supply of power to the crankshaft happens with the help of connecting rods.
- Now bend the GI rod in such a way that it forms a wave structure.
- Use 18 gauge copper wire to make and break the arrangement and assemble all the parts carefully.
- Connect the flywheel to one of the ends of the crankshaft and for power supply, use an old laptop AC-DC adapter.
Now the solenoid engine is ready.
Advantages of Solenoid Engine
- The solenoid engine causes zero atmospheric pollution.
- These engines can be used as an alternative to fossil fuels.
- The engine has more efficiency with lesser torque.
- The reaction time required for a solenoid engine is very quick.
What are the Applications of Solenoid Engine?
The following are the applications of solenoid engine:
- The core of the solenoid is used for applying mechanical force to the valve.
- Electromagnets find application indoor locking systems as a secure closure.
- Computer printers and fuel injector gears in cars use solenoids.
What are different Types of Solenoids?
There is a variety of solenoid depending on their material of construction, design, and function, and they are:
- Rotary solenoid
- Linear solenoid
- AC laminated solenoid
- DC C and D frame solenoid