Energy from the sun referred to as solar energy, is captured by the solar panels and is then converted into electricity. The solar panel is composed of many solar cells. In this session, let us learn about the uses of solar panels in detail.
The core uses of solar panels include generating electricity from solar energy. The photons hitting the solar cell lose the electrons from their atoms and with a proper attachment of conductors in the positive and negative sides of a cell, the whole can be transformed into an electrical circuit. Electrons flowing through the circuit helps in generating electricity. Many solar cells make up a solar panel and multiple panels can be paired to form a solar array. In this session, let us learn about the uses of solar panels and their practical application in real life.
Uses of Solar Panels
Solar panels are used in various industries as per the necessity and requirement. The uses of solar panels are listed below:
- Dairy: Solar panels can be used to generate power to which can be used in the dairy industry for the process of sterilization, pressurization, concentration, drying, and boiler feedwater.
- Tinned Food: Here, the solar panels can provide temperature which can prove useful for processes like sterilization, pasteurization, bleaching, and cooking.
- Textile: Textile industry depends on the extensive use of solar panels for efficient use of solar energy. These are used for the process like bleaching, dyeing, drying, degreasing, pressing, etc.
- Paper: In this industry, the use of heat is required for various processes and uses solar panels to provide heat for the process like drying, boiler feed water, bleaching, etc.
- Chemical: These industries use solar panels for generating heat which is used for the production of soaps, synthetic rubber, processing heat, preheating water, etc.
- Beverages: We can see major uses of solar panels in beverage industries for the processes such as washing sterilization and pasteurization.
- Timber and by-products: Solar panels are used in the timber industry in the processes of drying, thermodiffusion beams, pre-heating water, and in the preparation of pulp.
- Plastics: Solar panels are used to generate heat which is used in the process such as preparation, distillation, separation, extension, drying, blending, etc.
Apart from all these, making use of this kind of renewable energy by combining solar panels and making it into a solar array and connecting it with a solar inverter helps in taking the DC current from the array and using it to convert into AC current.
These were some applications and uses of solar panels if you wish to know more, download BYJU’S – The Learning App.
Frequently Asked Questions – FAQs
Give examples where direct solar energy is used.
- Water heating
Name the laws associated with black body radiation.
The laws that are associated with black body radiation are:
- Plank’s law
- Stefan-Boltzmann law
Name the device used to measure solar radiation flux.
What does the module refer to in a solar panel?
What is the use of a pyrometer?
What are the uses of heliostats?
What is the use of a pyrheliometer?
Put your understanding of this concept to test by answering a few MCQs. Click ‘Start Quiz’ to begin!
Select the correct answer and click on the “Finish” button
Check your score and answers at the end of the quiz
Visit BYJU’S for all Physics related queries and study materials
Your result is as below