Energy conversion also termed as the energy transformation, is the process of changing one form of energy into another. Energy conversion occurs everywhere and every minute of the day. There are numerous forms of energy like the thermal energy, electrical energy, nuclear energy, electromagnetic energy, mechanical energy, chemical energy, sound energy etc. On the other hand, the term Energy Transformation is used when energy changes forms from one form to another. Whether the energy is transferred or transformed, the total amount of energy doesn’t change and this is known as the Law of Conservation of Energy. In this short piece of article, we will be discussing energy conversion in detail.
The Law of Energy Conversion
Thermodynamics is the study of how energy gets converted from one form to another. Details on how the laws of thermodynamics apply to the conversion of energy are given below.
The first law of thermodynamics states that
Energy can neither be created nor destroyed, it can only be transformed from one form to another.
This is also known as the law of conservation of energy or the law of energy conversion. There are various types and forms of energy. Some examples of everyday energy conversions are provided below.
In the bulb: Electrical to Radiant Energy
Examples of Energy Conversion
Some examples of sets of energy conversion in machines are explained below.
Coal-fired Power Plant
The sets of energy transformation inside a coal-fired power plant are given in the points below.
- During the process of combustion, the chemical energy in the coal gets converted into thermal energy.
- Then through the heat exchanger, the thermal energy of the exhaust gases gets converted into thermal energy of steam.
- After that in the turbine, the thermal energy of steam gets converted into mechanical energy.
- Finally, with the help of a generator, the mechanical energy gets converted into electrical energy.
The sets of energy transformation in a conventional automobile are given in the points below.
- Due to combustion, the chemical energy in the fuel gets converted into kinetic energy of the expanded gas.
- Then the kinetic energy of the expanding gas gets converted into linear piston movement.
- Then the linear piston movement gets converted into rotary crankshaft movement.
- The rotary movement of drive wheels gets converted into linear motion of the automobile.
What is Energy Transfer?
The movement of energy from one location to another.
What is Energy Transformation?
The process of the changing of the energy from one type to another.
What is Energy Conservation?
It means that the total amount of energy remains the same.
Stay tuned with BYJU’S to learn more interesting Physics topics like Ohm’s Law, Thermodynamics, Laws of Motion, etc.