We all need to encourage alternative forms of transportation, as we find a lack of supply of petroleum products and also increase in environmental pollution. A car that runs on solar energy – Solar Car – are emerging these days addressing these issues. It uses solar cell panels to power up the engine instead of oil petroleum products as a fuel. By solar car project, you will experience the concept of solar energy and how it generates electric energy to start the engine.
|Table of Contents:|
Solar Car Project
Given here is a simple solar car project that you can try at home yourself using materials that easily available. One understands the working principle of a solar car making the project given here.
- Solar cell
- DC motor
- Motor mount
- Four wheels
- Dowel for axles
- Traction bands
- Eyelets or washers
- Wood sheet
- Procedure sheet
- Soldering iron
- Craft knife
- Cut a 2-inch wide strip of wood.
- Mark axles by drawing two lines and mark two points around 6 mm away from each side.
- Each screw will hold the axles, so insert one eye screw in each of the points.
- Insert axle and ensure the alignment is straight and can spin freely. Later use a piece of straw and place them as a spacer on both sides.
- After making space for the wheels, now insert wheels on all four sides. If your rear wheels are plain, you need to insert a gear or a pulley next to the rear wheel.
- Now, insert a small pulley or a gear onto the shaft of the DC motor. Now place the motor on the mount and strap it securely.
- Place it on the motor mount on the car, make sure the gears one on the wheel and another on the shaft are engaged.
- Place the solar panel on the car and connect all the required wires to the motor. Note that the solar cell panel is placed slanted.
- Finally, take your solar car in a sunny location and test it!
In this experiment, you will learn how to work with a solar cell panel and a DC motor. Take your solar car in a sunny location to test. Place the car on a flat smooth surface and make sure the solar panel is faced to the sun. You can also test the solar car indoor using a strong light replacing the sunlight. Well, you can customize the solar car by designing the wooden sheet, adding decoration, and more.
Hope you understood the step-by-step procedure of building a solar car. Stay tuned with BYJU’S to learn more about other Physics related projects.
Frequently Asked Questions – FAQs
What is solar energy?
It is the form of energy that is received in the form of light and heat from the sun.
Solar energy is renewable or nonrenewable form of energy?
Solar energy is a renewable, clean, and inexhaustible form of energy.
What is solar energy?
Do solar cars use petroleum products as fuel?
State true or false: Solar cars use solar cell panels to power up the engine.
Watch the video to learn exciting facts about the Sun!
Stay tuned to BYJU’S and Fall in Love with Learning!
Put your understanding of this concept to test by answering a few MCQs. Click ‘Start Quiz’ to begin!
Select the correct answer and click on the “Finish” button
Check your score and answers at the end of the quiz
Visit BYJU’S for all Physics related queries and study materials
Your result is as below