What is a Tornado?
Tornadoes are a violently rotating column of air extending from a thunderstorm to the ground. They can uproot trees, destroy large buildings and hurl vehicles hundreds of yards. They form from thunderstorms. Given here is an easy tornado project that you can easily make at home.
Tornado In A Bottle Science Project
Learn how to make a tornado in a bottle reading the fun science project given here. Using easy to find items such as empty bottles and food colouring agents, you can make your own mini-tornado that’s a lot safer than the one that you might see on the local weather channel.
- Two empty bottles
- Tornado tube plastic connector
- Pieces of paper (optional)
- Food colouring (optional)
- Fill about ⅔ of water into one of the bottles
- Add food colouring or a few paper pieces (optional)
- Now, connect both bottles using the connector.
- Place both connected bottles on a sturdy surface. The empty bottle should be on the bottom.
- The water will drip down to the lower bottle and in a few seconds, the flow stops completely.
- To make the water flow continuously to the empty bottle, move the bottles in a circular motion for a few minutes.
- After placing it on a sturdy surface, you can observe the shape of tornado appearing on the top bottle in order to flow the water down.
There won’t be any tension created when the water is still in the bottle. When the water moves into the bottom bottle, the air pressure forces the air bubbles to move on top. When there is significantly low in water level and pressure, it stops the flow of the water completely.
In the second part of the experiment, the water started flowing in a circular motion due to the rotation of the bottle. A tunnel is formed as the water is slowed down, by increasing the speed of water around the centre, which is called as centripetal force.
Stay tuned with BYJU’S for more interesting articles.