What are natural resources?
Natural resources are something which comes from the nature and people cannot make natural resources but they can collect it. Some of the examples natural resources are water, wood, iron and coal. Some of the resources like hydro-electric energy are not natural because they are made by people.
Natural resources are classified into 2 categories:
- Renewable natural resources
- Non-Renewable natural resources
Renewable resources are those which can be generated again after it is used. For example water, wood and sunlight are some of the examples of renewable resources.
Non-renewable resource is that which exhausts after frequent usage and sometimes it takes a long time to get generated like natural gas. One of the example of non-renewable natural resource is coal. Just like coal there are many natural resources that are limited that means it cannot be recycled again. Most of non-renewable resources cannot be recycled and thus it is important in conservation of natural resources. There are some natural resources which has very high demand but with less availability.
Some of the non renewable natural resources are:
- Fossil fuels: Natural resources like Coal, natural gas and petroleum can be over some day i.e. they are exhaustible. It takes millions of years for a dead organism to get converted into fuels. They are consumed with much faster rate than the rate by which it is formed. Excess burning of fossil fuels leads to air pollution as it gives out carbon dioxide which is a green house gas
- Water: A very less amount of freshwater is present on earth and also out of that some are potable i.e. it can be used for drinking. Because of the change in climate there is change in the rainfall pattern as well as the melting of ice is also dropped in winter these all factors results in lowering the amount of this natural resource.
- Air: For the proper existence of living beings we need clean air. But because of many reasons the air gets polluted and affects the health of living beings.
Conservation of Natural Resources
It is very important that these natural resources are conserved as they are getting exhausted at an alarming rate. Apart from that, it is having an adverse affect on the environment which is indirectly causing harm to the living beings. By following the below tips, we can conserve the natural resources:
- Minimize the use of vehicles
- Use water sparingly and do not waste water
Byju’s helps students by delivering chapterwise and detailed solutions to the questions of NCERT books so that they can compare their answers with the sample answers given here – NCERT Solutions for Natural Resources
Practise This Question