|Iron Atomic Number||26|
|Iron Atomic Mass||55.85 g.mol -1|
|Discovered by||The Ancients|
Chemical Properties Of Iron
|Group||8||Melting point||1536 °C|
|Period||4||Boiling point||2861 °C|
|Block||d||Density (g cm−3)||7.8 g.cm-3 at 20°C|
|Atomic number||26||Relative atomic mass||55.845|
|State at 20°C||Solid||Key isotopes||56Fe|
|Electron configuration||[Ar] 3d64s2||CAS number||7439-89-6|
|ChemSpider ID||22368||ChemSpider is a free chemical structure database|
What is iron?
- Iron is a metal, an element of group VIII of the periodic table. It is a lustrous, ductile, malleable, silver-grey in color. It is the tenth most abundant element in the universe. It is found in a major amount at the core of the Earth in a molten form.
Uses of iron
- It is used to manufacture steel and also used in civil engineering like reinforced concrete, girders etc.
- Iron is used to make alloy steels like carbon steels with additives such as nickel, chromium, vanadium, tungsten, and manganese.
- These are used to make bridges, electricity pylons, bicycle chains, cutting tools and rifle barrels.
- Cast iron contains 3–5% carbon. It is used for pipes, valves, and pumps.
- Iron catalysts are used in the Haber process for producing ammonia.
- Magnets can be made of this metal and its alloys and compounds.
Physical Properties of Iron
- It rusts in damp air, but not in the dry air.
- It dissolves readily in dilute acids.
- At room temperature, this metal is in the form of ferrite or α-form.
- At 910°C, it changes to γ-iron, which is much softer in nature.
- It melts at 1536°C and boils at 2861°C.
- Being a metal is magnetic in nature.
Certain Facts About Iron
- An average human body contains about 4 grams of this iron in the form of hemoglobin, in the blood.
- It is the 6th most common element in the universe.
- There are four known allotropic forms of iron.
Frequently Asked Questions on Iron Element – Fe
What is the importance of the element iron?
- It is a building block of steel
- It helps in transferring oxygen in the blood and
- It also helps in the nourishment of plants.
What is the atomic number of iron?
Iron is a chemical element with atomic number 26 and symbol Fe. It is a metal that belongs to the periodic table’s first transition series and group 8. It is the most common element on Earth by mass, forming much of the outer and inner core of Earth.
Write the electronic configuration of iron.
What is the boiling point of iron?
The boiling point of iron is 2861 °C. Steel is just the iron component refined to regulate the carbon quantity. Iron melts from the surface at about 1750 ° F (1510 degrees C). Steel also drops at 1370 degrees C.
Why does iron have a high melting point?
It is necessary to overcome the attraction between the metal ions and the dislocated electrons to melt or boil a metal. Such attractive forces are solid, so high melting and boiling points are found in metals.