|Manganese Atomic Number||25|
|Manganese Atomic Mass||54.9380 g.mol-1|
|Discovered by||Johan Gottlieb Gahn|
What is Manganese?
- Manganese, is a chemical element that has the symbol Mn and the atomic number 25.
- This element is not found as a free element in nature but is available in combination with iron and other minerals.
- It is a metal that has important metal alloy uses and particularly in stainless steel.
Table of Contents
- Chemical Properties of Manganese
- Uses Of Manganese
- Properties Of Manganese
- Certain Facts About Manganese
- Frequently Asked Questions
Chemical Properties Of Manganese
|Group||7||Melting point||1246°C, 2275°F, 1519 K|
|Period||4||Boiling point||2061°C, 3742°F, 2334 K|
|Block||d||Density (g cm−3)||7.3|
|Atomic number||25||Relative atomic mass||54.938|
|State at 20°C||Solid||Key isotopes||55Mn|
|Electron configuration||[Ar] 3d54s2||CAS number||7439-96-5|
|ChemSpider ID||22372||ChemSpider is a free chemical structure database|
Uses Of Manganese
- Manganese is used to produce a variety of important alloys and to deoxidize steel and desulfurize.
- It is also used in dry cell batteries.
- Manganese is used as a black-brown pigment in paint.
- It is an essential trace element for living creatures.
- It is mainly used to decolourize glass and to prepare violet-coloured glass.
- Steel contains 1% manganese to increase strength and improve workability.
- Manganese steel has 13% manganese which is very strong and used for railway tracks, rifle barrels, safes and prison bars.
- Drink cans are made from an alloy of aluminium that contains 1.5% manganese, improving the resistance to corrosion.
- Manganese is also used as a catalyst, to decolourize the glass that is coloured green by iron impurities.
- Manganese sulphate is used to make a fungicide.
Properties Of Manganese
- Manganese is a grey-white, hard and very brittle metal.
- It tarnished on exposure to air and oxidised to manganese when heated.
Certain Facts About Manganese
- Manganese is more reactive when available in pure form, and as a powder, it will burn in oxygen reacts with water and dissolves in dilute acids.
Frequently asked questions
What is the charge of manganese ion?
The most common oxidation states of manganese are +2, +3, +4, +5,+6 and+7.
The most stable oxidation state is +2.
What is the colour of manganese?
Manganese is Pale pink in colour.
How manganese is removed from water?
Water softeners are used to remove magnesium and calcium hardness from water by an exchange process.