What is Sodium Iodide?
Sodium iodide is an ionic compound produced by the addition of sodium hydroxide or sodium carbonate to hydriodic acid. The chemical formula for sodium iodide is NaI. It is made up of colourless cubic crystals that are soluble in polar solvents. It is one of the oldest members of the optical engineering family and is considered by many scientists as a standard optical device in the field of detection technology.
Other names – Sodium monoiodide
|Molecular Weight/ Molar Mass||149.89 g/mol|
|Charge of Na||+1|
|Boiling Point||1,304 °C|
|Melting Point||661 °C|
Sodium Iodide Structure – NaI
Physical Properties of Sodium Iodide – NaI
|Appearance||White solid, deliquescent|
|Solubility||Soluble in water, acetone and ethanol.|
Chemical Properties of Sodium Iodide – NaI
- Sodium iodide reacts with sulphuric acid results in the formation of hydrogen iodide and sodium bisulfite. The chemical equation is given below.
NaI + H2SO4 → HI + NaHSO4
- Sodium iodide reacts with chlorine, where chlorine replaces iodine forming sodium chloride and iodine.The chemical equation is given below.
Cl2 + 2NaI → 2 NaCl + I2
Uses of Sodium Iodide – NaI
- Sodium iodide is used in medicine as a supplement for iodine to treat thyroid disorders.
- Used in the treatment of actinobacillosis and actinomycosis in cattle.
- A small amount of Sodium iodide is added to the Sodium chloride to make “iodised salt’. This makes sure you get the iodine you need in your diet.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the uses of sodium iodide?
Sodium iodide is an iodide salt that can be used as an injectable medicinal drug. Sodium iodide is used to treat or avoid a deficiency of iodine caused by inadequate diet or poor body absorption. Thyroid disease can also be treated with sodium iodide.
Comment on the solubility of sodium iodide in water
Sodium iodide is highly soluble in water. At a temperature of 0 degrees celsius, the solubility of this compound in water corresponds to 1587 grams per litre. At room temperature, its solubility in water increases to 1842 grams per litre. Finally, at a temperature of 100 degrees celsius, the solubility of sodium iodide in water is 3020 grams per litre.
Is sodium iodide a stable compound?
Almost all iodides (including compounds like sodium iodide) are oxidzed to molecular iodine (I2), oxygen (O2) that is present in the atmosphere. I2 and I- complexes form a triiodide compound which is yellow in colour, unlike the white coloured sodium iodide.