Varactor diodes or Varicap diodes are semiconductor devices that are widely used in the electronics industry. They are also used within the RF design arena. In this article, we will learn about the characteristics and applications of the varactor diode.
Table of Contents
What is a Varactor Diode?
|What is Schottky Diode?
Symbol of Varactor Diode
From the diagram given below, it is evident that the symbol of the varactor diode is similar to that of the PN-junction diode. The diode has two terminals: anode and cathode. One end of the symbol consists of the diode, and the other has two parallel lines representing the capacitor’s conductive plates. The gap between the plates shows their dielectric.
Operation of Varactor Diode
The function of the varactor diode is to store charges, so it is always operated in reverse bias conditions. When a forward bias voltage is applied, the electric current flows. As a result, the depletion region becomes negligible, which is undesirable.
The junction capacitance of a p-n junction diode is inversely proportional to the width of the depletion layer. In other words, if the width of the depletion layer is less, then the capacitance is more, and vice versa. So if we need to increase the capacitance of a varactor diode, the reverse bias voltage should be decreased. It causes the width of the depletion layer to decrease, resulting in higher capacitance. Similarly, increasing the reverse bias voltage should decrease the capacitance. This ability to get different values of capacitances just by changing the voltage applied is the biggest advantage of a varactor diode compared to a normal variable capacitor.
Varactor Diode Formulae
|Capacitance of Varactor Diode
|Quality factor of the Varactor Diode
Notations Used In The Varactor Formula
- Cj is the diode capacitance
- C is the diode capacitance when the device is unbiased
- V is the applied voltage
- Vb is the barrier voltage at the junction
- m is the constant depending upon the material
- K is the constant equal to 1
- F is the maximum operating frequency
- f is the operating frequency
Varactor Diode Characteristics
Varactor diodes are mostly operated under reverse bias conditions; therefore, there is no conduction. They are voltage-controlled capacitors and are sometimes known as varicap diodes, although the word varactor is widely used.
Variable Capacitance Characteristics
Varactor Diode Applications
Some applications of varactor diode are given in the points mentioned below.
- They are used in the RF design arena and provide a method of varying the capacitance within a circuit by applying control voltage. It provides them with special capability, due to which varactor diodes are used in the RF industry.
- These diodes are used in many circuits and find applications in two main sectors.
- FR filters – Tuning filters using varactor diodes is possible. Tracking filters can be required in front-end receiver circuits wherein the filters are enabled to track incoming signals’ frequency.
- Voltage-controlled oscillators (VCOs) – VCOs are used for many applications, and oscillators within a phase-locked loop are the major region. VCOs are present in almost all wireless receivers and radios.
Frequently Asked Questions on Varactor Diode
What is abrupt varactor diode?
The abrupt varactor diode exhibits the inverse square of the C-V function, and the doping concentration is constant.
What is a hyper abrupt varactor diode?
A Hyperabrupt varactor diode is used as it has greater capacitance for the given voltage change.
Which layer can be used for the detection of bad frames?
The link layer is used for the detection of bad frames.
What is the major use of varactor diode?
The major use of the varactor diode is for tuning the circuit.
What happens to plate separation when the depletion region in the varactor diode widens?
As the depletion region in the varactor diode widens, the plate separation increases.
Which type of diode is commonly used in electronic tuners in TVs?
Varactor diode is the commonly used diode in electronic tuners in TVs.
Stay tuned with BYJU’S for more such interesting articles. Also, register to “BYJU’S – The Learning App” for loads of interactive, engaging Physics-related videos and unlimited academic assistance.
Put your understanding of this concept to test by answering a few MCQs. Click ‘Start Quiz’ to begin!
Select the correct answer and click on the “Finish” button
Check your score and answers at the end of the quiz
Visit BYJU’S for all Physics related queries and study materials
Your result is as below