While observing myriad life forms on earth, we are struck by two seemingly opposite observations, the fantastic variety and similarity between different life forms. Variations are apparent in closely related organisms. In the AP Class 10 Biology chapter 8 Heredity, we discuss in detail about the variation in organisms.
Important Points in Class 10 Chapter 8 Heredity
- Variations refer to the differences in the characters within a closely related group of organisms.
- A randomly selected allele from each parent is passed on to the offspring, of which, only one is passed on to its offspring.
- Heredity is the process of acquiring characters from parents.
- A human cell comprises 23 pairs of chromosomes. Out of which, 22 pairs are called autosomes and the remaining one pair is called allosomes.
- The similarity of traits in different organisms is because of the inheritance from a common ancestor.
Let us answer, some of the chapter questions, to better understand the concepts explained in the chapter clearly.
Class 10 Biology Chapter 8 Heredity Questions
- How sex determination takes place in human? Explain with example.
The sex in humans is determined at the time of conception. The alleles in human beings are what determines the sex of a child. The father is heterozygous so when the baby is conceived, a chromosome from the sperm cells, either X or Y, fuses with the X chromosome in the egg cell, determining whether the baby will be female (XX) or male (XY).
2. According to Mendel alleles have the following of a character.
- production of Gametes
- recessive factors
- a pair of genes
- responsible for character
Solution: responsible for the character
Mendel’s alleles are responsible for the character.
3. Why Mendel had chosen garden pea as material for his experiments?
Solution: Mendel had chosen garden pea as material for his experiments because it has following advantages:
1. Well-defined characters
2. Bisexual flowers
3. Predominantly self fertilization
4. Early hybridization
Stay tuned to BYJU’S to get the latest notification on SSC exams along with AP SSC model papers, exam pattern, marking scheme and more.