What is Magnesium Phosphate?
Magnesium Phosphate, Mg3(PO4)2 is an important mineral found in bones, in the seeds of many plants, and in a number of minerals. It is taken as a source of supplemental dietary magnesium. Tribasic magnesium phosphate may be prepared by the interaction of magnesium chloride, or sulfate with the phosphate salt. The solution is easily prepared by agitating some salt with carbon dioxide free water for several hours.
Other names – Trimagnesium diphosphate, Phosphoric acid magnesium salt
|Density||2.195 g/mL at 25 °C(lit)|
|Molecular Weight/ Molar Mass||262.855 g/mol|
|Hydrogen Bond Acceptor||8|
|Melting Point||1,184 °C|
Magnesium Phosphate Structure – Mg3(PO4)2
Physical Properties of Magnesium Phosphate – Mg3(PO4)2
|Appearance||White crystalline powder|
|Solubility||Soluble in salt solution|
Chemical Properties of Magnesium Phosphate – Mg3(PO4)2
- Magnesium Phosphate is a salt when treated with water forms phosphoric acid and magnesium hydroxide. The chemical equation is given below.
Mg3(PO4)2 + H2O → H3PO4 + Mg(OH)2
- Magnesium Phosphate reacts with hydrochloric acid forms phosphoric acid and magnesium chloride.
Mg3(PO4)2 + HCl → MgCl2 + H3PO4
Uses of Magnesium Phosphate – Mg3(PO4)2
- Used as a source for both magnesium and phosphorus. It is used in minimal supplement.
- Used in the prevention of vitamin E deficiency.
- Used in foods at levels not to exceed current good manufacturing practice. The ingredient also may be used in infant formula.
- Used as a nutrient, pH control agent and stabilizer.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the uses of magnesium phosphate?
Magnesium phosphate is widely used in medication in order to support the relaxation of muscles. This compound is also used to prevent the cramping of muscles. Magnesium phosphate is also used to prevent vitamin E deficiency.
What happens when magnesium phosphate is mixed with water?
When treated with water, magnesium phosphate participates in a chemical reaction with it to afford magnesium hydroxide and phosphoric acid as the products.
How does magnesium phosphate react with hydrochloric acid?
When reacted with hydrochloric acid, magnesium phosphate gives magnesium chloride and phosphoric acid as the products.