Synthetic fibre are man-made fibres, most of them are prepared from raw material (petroleum) called petrochemicals. All fabrics are obtained from fibres and fibres are obtained from artificial or man-made sources. It consists of small unit or a polymer which is made from many repeating units known as monomers. Example: rayon, nylon, polyester, etc. These fibre finds its applications in household articles like ropes, bucket, furniture, etc. Following are some of the most commonly used synthetic fibres:
Know more about Classifications of Fibers
- This is a type of synthetic fibre obtained from wood pulp.
- Rayon is soft, absorbent and comfortable.
- It is easy to dye in wide range of colors.
- Rayon is mixed with cotton to make bedsheets.
- Rayon is mixed with wool to make carpets.
- This type of synthetic fibre is obtained from coal, water and air.
- Nylon is very lustrous, easy to wash and elastic.
- It dries quickly and retains its shape.
- Nylon finds its application in seat belts of car, sleeping bags, socks, ropes, etc.
- Nylon is also used in ropes for rock climbing, making parachutes and fishing nets.
- This type of synthetic fibre is obtained from coal, water, air and petroleum.
- Polyester is made from repeating units of chemical known as esters.
- Polyester is easy to wash and it remains wrinkle free and it is quite suitable in making dress material.
- Polyester retains its shape and remains crisp.
- Polyester is used in making ropes, nets, raincoats, jackets, etc.
- Synthetic fibres are very durable and do not wrinkle easily
- They are elastic and can be easily stretched out
- They are strong and can sustain heavy load.
- It is soft and hence it is used in clothing material.
- It is cheaper as compared to natural fibres.
Disadvantages of synthetic fibres
- Most synthetic fibres do not absorb moisture.
- Synthetic fibre can be affected if washed using hot water.
- It catches fire easily as compared to natural fibre.
To follow more about synthetic fibre, download Byju’s-the learning app.
Practise This Question