Group 14 elements of the modern periodic table are also known as the carbon group elements.These elements have 4 valence electrons in their outermost shell. The compounds formed by these elements play an important role in the existence of life on earth.
The members so group 14 are:
The uses of the oxides of group 14 elements are mentioned below.
Carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless toxic gas with the chemical formula CO. It is a flammable gas, which is used in the manufacturing of various inorganic and organic chemicals. Uses of carbon monoxide are:
- Carbon monoxide(CO) is industrially a very important gas, as it is used in the manufacturing of various organic and inorganic compounds.
- It is used in modified atmosphere packaging systems to keep packaged meat fresh.
- In high power infrared lasers, it is used as a lasing medium.
Carbon dioxide is colorless and odorless gas in nature. It has the chemical formula CO2. It plays a vital role for the existence of life on the earth. This gas is found in traces in the atmosphere but it is of great importance.
Some common uses of carbon dioxide are given below:
- Carbon dioxide finds its application in a large number of industries such as oil industries, food industries, and chemical industries.
- It is used in the manufacturing of urea in various chemical industries.
- In food industries, it is used as a food additive.
- It is used in fire extinguishers.
Silicon dioxide (SiO2) is one of the chemical compounds known since the medieval times. Silicon dioxide is also called as silica. Silica is found abundantly in the earth’s crust. Uses of silica are:
- Silica is mainly used in the production of glass, which is used for windows, bottles, etc.
- It is a major ingredient in sand casting, which is responsible for the manufacture of a large number of engineering components and other materials.
- It is used in the food industry, as a common additive.
Silicones are polymers, which are made up of repeating units of siloxane. Siloxane is made up of alternating oxygen and silicon atoms. These polymers are heat-resistant.
Uses of silicones are:
- It is used as a lubricant in the automotive industry.
- Silicones are used in the coating of silica-based substrates.
- It is used in deformers as an active compound due to its good spreading properties and low solubility in water.
Zeolites are solid structures, which are crystalline in nature. They are made up of aluminum, silicon, and oxygen. Their structure consists of cavities where water molecules, cations, can reside. They are also called as molecular sieves. These minerals are mined extensively due to their application in a large number of fields. Some of their applications are mentioned below:
- It is used in photochemical industries as a catalyst.
- Zeolites are used in nuclear industries due to their microporous ability.
- It is used in the manufacturing of detergents.
The compounds of carbon group elements have been an essential part of human development and evolution.
Carbon dioxide plays an important role in photosynthesis in which plants and some bacteria use the energy from the sun to produce glucose. The glucose produced gets converted into pyruvate which further releases adenosine triphosphate (ATP) by cellular respiration.
Even though carbon monoxide is widely used it is a poisonous gas.
Silica, silicones, and silicates can be called as an important class of compounds owing to their diverse applicability.
For any doubt regarding the uses of oxides of group 14 elements get in touch with the mentor support team at Byju’s.
Practise This Question