What is Bismuth subsalicylate?
Bismuth subsalicylate is an active antacid with the chemical formula C7H5BiO4 under the brand name Pepto-Bismol.
Bismuth subsalicylate is an insoluble bismuth salt widely used in the treatment of syphilis. It is slowly and irregularly absorbed but is an effective agent. Bismuth subsalicylate is a bismuth salt with a variety of clinical uses. Bismuth is an antidiarrheal agent that produces antisecretory and antimicrobial effects; it may have an anti-inflammatory effect.
Other name – sic bismuth salicylate, salicylic acid basic bismuth salt
|Molecular Weight/ Molar Mass
Table of Contents
- Bismuth subsalicylate Structure – C7H5BiO4
- Physical Properties of Bismuth subsalicylate – C7H5BiO4
- Chemical Properties of Bismuth subsalicylate – C7H5BiO4
- Uses of Bismuth subsalicylate – C7H5BiO4
- Frequently Asked Questions
Bismuth subsalicylate Structure – C7H5BiO4
Physical Properties of Bismuth subsalicylate – C7H5BiO4
|603 and 638°C
|Hydrogen Bond Donor
|Practically insoluble in water or alcohol; soluble in alkali
Chemical Properties of Bismuth subsalicylate – C7H5BiO4
- Bismuth subsalicylate reacts with hydrochloric acid results in the formation of 3,5-Dihydroxybenzoic acid and bismuth chloride.
C7H5BiO4 + HCl → C7H6O4 + BiCl
- It forms microscopic prisms mat are decomposed by boiling water and by alkalies into a more basic salts.
Uses of Bismuth subsalicylate – C7H5BiO4
- Used as a fungicide, especially for the control of blue mold disease of tobacco seedlings.
- Used in the treatment of Syphills and it may still be used in patients who are intolerant to penicillin.
- Used orally to allay diarrhea or to soothe gastritis or peptic ulcer.
- Used for symptomatic treatment of diarrhea in small and large animals.
Frequently Asked Questions
How does bismuth stop diarrhea?
Bismuth subsalicylate is used in adults and children aged 12 years and older for the treatment of vomiting, heartburn, and stomach upset. This works by decreasing the flow of fluids and electrolytes into the intestine, reducing inflammation within the intestine, and may kill the diarrhea-causing species.
Is bismuth subsalicylate a charcoal?
Bismuth subsalicylate, kaolin-pectin, activated charcoal and magnesium, aluminum- and barium-containing items are often used to bind bacteria and their toxins in acute vomiting or diarrhea and to protect the GI mucosa.
Does Pepto Bismol kill good bacteria?
Several stomachs are food poisoning. There is a persistent battle between the poor and good bacteria. In Pepto, the bismuth destroys and soothes the invaders.
Why is Pepto Bismol so effective?
Pepto-Bismol works by shielding your stomach from stomach acid, and the lower portion of your food tubing. It is also a mild antacid, helping to reduce the excess stomach acid and alleviating any pain. Pepto-Bismol comes as a tablet and a drinkable liquid.
What does bismuth subsalicylate do in the body?
Bismuth subsalicylate, marketed as generic and labelled as Pepto-Bismol, is an antacid drug used to treat acute stomach and gastrointestinal problems, such as vomiting, indigestion, heartburn, and nausea.