Computer Networks is an exciting topic covered by the GATE CSE Question Paper. The candidates are also advised to solve and practise these Computer Networks GATE questions. Some of the main concepts that constitute the Computer Networks GATE questions with answers PDF are Data Link Layer, IP Addressing, Network Security and more. Candidates are also advised to refer to the collection of GATE Questions Computer Networks that we have listed here in this article below.
Computer Network is an important topic covered in the GATE CSE question paper. Candidates can refer to these Computer Network Questions for GATE to get the best results. Solving these questions will help the candidates to prepare more proficiently for the GATE exams. Candidates can first solve these questions and then refer back to the answers to gauge their performance. Meanwhile, candidates can find the Computer Networks GATE Question with Answers in this article below. They can also refer to these GATE previous year question papers and start preparing for the exams.
Note: We shall be updating the answers/ solutions for these questions soon.
Computer Network GATE Questions with Solutions
From The Computer Network Topic of the GATE CSE Question Paper
MCQ – Single Answer Computer Networks GATE Questions
1) What is the protocol data unit (PDU) for the application layer in the Internet stack?
2) Which among this is not a client-server application?
c. Internet Chat
3) If an Internet Service Provider (ISP) has the following chunk of CIDR-based IP addresses available with it:245.248.128.0/20 and the ISP wants to give half of this chunk of address to Organization A, and a quarter to Organization B, while retaining the remaining with itself. Then, which among the following is a valid allocation of addresses to A and B?
a. 245.248.132.0/22 and 245.248.132.0/21
b. 245.248.136.0/21 and 245.248.128.0/22
c. 245.248.128.0/21 and 245.248.128.0/22
d. 245.248.136.0/22 and 245.248.132.0/21
4) The pairs of OSI protocol layer/sub-layer and its functionality are given below, the INCORRECT pair from among these are:
- Data Link Layer and Bit synchronization
- Network Layer and Routing
- Medium Access Control sub-layer and Channel sharing
- Transport Layer and End-to-end process communication
5) A firewall is installed at the point where the secure internal network and untrusted external network meet, which is also known as______
- Secure point
- Meeting point
- Chock point
- Firewall point
6) What does DHCP stand for?
- Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol
- Dynamic Host Configuration Provider
- Digital Host Communication Provider
- Digital Host Communication Protocol
7) The growth of congestion window occurs_____
- Up to timeout
- Up to threshold
- Up to the size of receiver’s window
8) When was Aloha developed?
- In 1990
- In 1980
- In 1970
- In 1960
9) Which of these is a Transmission media that can be used in LAN?
- fibre optics
- coaxial cable
10) Which of these protocols given below uses UDP as transport protocol?
11) LANs can be connected by a device known as ______
- Ethernet card
12) What is the bit rate In Ethernet when Manchester encoding is used?
- Same as the baud rate
- Twice the baud rate
- Half the baud rate
- None of these
13) What is slot time for gigabit Ethernet?
14) Radio waves are _____
15) The term that refers to the shortest unit and carries data elements is______
- Single element
- Data carrier
- Signal element
- Both b and c
16) Which architecture is FTP built on?
- Both the above
- None of these
17) What is the address resolution protocol (ARP) used for?
- Finding the IP address of the default gateway
- Finding the MAC address that corresponds to an IP address
- Finding the IP address that corresponds to a MAC address
- Finding the IP address from the DNS
18) Which of the following are not true characteristics of NetBEUI?
- Fast for small networks to Self-tuning
- Little configuration required
- Highly customizable
19) Identify the correct option for the given assertion and reason
Assertion: In IEEE 802.3 is not suitable for client server application
Reason: In Ethernet, there is a restriction on minimum size.
a. Assertion and Reason, both are true
b. Assertion and reason are false
c. Assertion is true and reason is false
d. Assertion and reason are true, but this is not the correct reason for the given assertion
20) Consider that a computer on a 10Mbps network is regulated by a token bucket. The token bucket is filled at a rate of 2Mbps. It is initially filled to capacity with 16 Megabits. What is the maximum duration for which the computer can transmit at the full 10Mbps?
- 8 seconds
- 5 seconds
- 2 seconds
- 1.6 seconds
21) In Unicast Routing, we use shortest path tree method for finding shortest path of the______
22) Which is the network that provides high speed connectivity?
23) What is the maximum number of subnets and the maximum number of hosts in each subnet, if the address of a class B host is to be split into subnets with a 6-bit subnet number?
a. 64 subnets and 262142 hosts
b.62 subnets and 262142 hosts
c. 64 subnets and 1024 hosts
d. 62 subnets and 1022 hosts
24) Which of the following statements about HTTP are false?
- HTTP describe the structure of web page
- HTTP run over TCP
- HTTP can be used to test the validity of hyper link test
- HTTP allows information to be stored in url
25) What is an anticipated result from multi programming operations?
- Handling of more jobs
- Reduced computer idle time
- Better scheduling of work
- All of the above
26) What is the Network, in which every computer is capable of playing the role of client, server or both at the same time?
- dedicated server network
- local area network
- wide area network
- peer-to-peer network
27) Match the following:
|(P) SMTP||(1) Application layer|
|(Q) BGP||(2) Transport layer|
|(R) TCP||(3) Data link layer|
|(S) PPP||(4) Network layer|
|(5) Physical layer|
(a) P – 2 Q – 1 R – 3 S – 5
(b) P – 1 Q – 4 R – 2 S – 5
(c) P – 1 Q – 4 R – 2 S – 3
(d) P – 2 Q – 4 R – 1 S – 3
28) If a CSMA/CD network that transmits data at a rate of 100 Mbps (108 bits second) over a 1 km(kilometer) cable with no repeaters and the minimum frame size required for this network is 1250 bytes, what is the signal speed (km/sec) in the cable?
29) One of the header fields in an IP datagram is the Time to Live (TTL) field. Which of these below given statements best explains the need for this field?
(a) It can be used to reduce delays
(b) It can be used to optimize throughput
(c) It can be used to prioritize packets
(d) It can be used to prevent packet looping
30) A and B are the only two stations on an Ethernet. Each has a steady queue of frames to send. Both A and B attempt to transmit a frame, collide, and A wins the first back off race. At the end of this successful transmission by A, both A and B attempt to transmit and collide. The probability that A wins the second back off race is_____
31) In a packet switching network, packets are routed from source to destination along a single path having two intermediate nodes. If the message size is 24 bytes and each packet contains a header of 3 bytes, then what is the optimum packet size?
32) Station B needs to send a message consisting of 9 packets to Station C using a sliding window (window size 3) and go-back-n error control strategy. All packets are ready and immediately available for transmission. If every 5th packet that B transmits gets lost (but no acks from C ever get lost), then what is the number of packets that B will transmit for sending the message to C?
33) Which of the following assertions about the Internet Protocol (IP) is False?
- IP Packets from the same source to the same destination can take different routes in the network
- The packet source cannot set the route of an ongoing packets; the route is only determined by the routing tables in the routers on the way
- IP ensures that a packet is discarded if it is unable to reach its destination within a given number of hops
- It is possible for a computer to have multiple IP addresses
34) For an organization that has a class B network and wishes to form subnets for 64 departments, what will the subnet mask be?
35) The message 11001001 is to be transmitted using the CRC polynomial x^3 + 1 to protect it from errors. The message that should be transmitted is______
36) If two computers C1 and C2 are configured as follows and C1 has IP address 126.96.36.199 and netmask 255.255.128.0, while C2 has IP address 188.8.131.52 and netmask 255.255.192.0, then which of the following statements is true?
- C2 assumes C1 is on the same network, but C1 assumes C2 is on a different network
- C1 assumes C2 is on the same network, but C2 assumes C1 is on a different network
- C1 and C2 both assume they are on different networks
- C1 and C2 both assume they are on the same networks
37) Look at these three statements about link state and distance vector routing protocols, for a large network with 500 network nodes and 4000 links
- [S1] The computational overhead in link state protocols is higher than in distance vector protocols.
- [S2] A distance vector protocol (with split horizon) avoids persistent routing loops, but not a link state protocol.
- [S3] After a topology change, a link state protocol will converge faster than a distance vector protocol.
Which one of the following is correct about S1, S2, and S3?
- S1, S2, and S3 are all false
- S1, S2, and S3 are all true
- S1 and S2 are true, but S3 is false
- S1 and S3 are true, but S2 is false
38) Which of these functionalities should be implemented by a transport protocol over and above the network protocol?
- Detection of duplicate packets
- End to end connectivity
- Packet delivery in the correct order
- Recovery from packet losses
39) If the length of a Broadcast LAN is 2 Km and it has 107 bps bandwidth and uses CSMA/CD and the signal travels along the wire at 2108m/s, then what is the minimum size of the packet?
- 100 bytes
- 200 bytes
- 50 bytes
- None of these
40) Which is one of the pairs of protocols given below from both the protocols that can use multiple TCP connections between the same client and the server?
- HTTP, TELNET
- HTTP, SMTP
- FTP, SMTP
- HTTP, FTP
41) What is the number of 8-bit characters that can be transmitted per second over a 9600 baud serial communication link that use asynchronous mode of transmission with 8 data bits, one start bit and one parity bit?
42) In the starting phase of TCP congestion control algorithm size of congestion control window______
- Increase Linearly
- Does not increase
- Increase exponentially
43) If a sender is employing public key Cryptography to send a secret message to a receiver, which one of the following statements is true?
- Sender encrypts using his own public key
- Receiver decrypts using his own public key
- Sender encrypts using receiver’s public key
- Receiver decrypts using sender’s public key
44) If everyone in a group of N people want to communicate secretly with the N – 1 others using symmetric key cryptographic system and the communication between any two persons should not be decodable by the others in the group, then what is the number of keys required in the system as a whole to satisfy the confidentiality requirement?
- N(N-1) / 2
45) Internetwork is made of five networks. Which are those?
- Four LANs and One MAN
- Four LANs and One WAN
- Three LANs and Two WAN
- Four MANs and One WAN
46) This is one of two protocols that let a network administrator supervise and distribute IP addresses from a central point. It automatically sends a new IP address when a computer is plugged into a different place in the network.
47) A sender B sends a message m to receiver A, which is digitally signed by B with its private key. In this scenario, one or more of the following security violations can take place.
I. B can launch a birthday attack to replace m with a fraudulent message
II. A third party attacker can launch a birthday attack to replace m with a fraudulent message
III. A can launch a birthday attack to replace m with a fraudulent message
Which of the following are possible security violations?
- I only
- II only
- II and III only
- I and II only
48) Take the example of 1 Mbps error-free line, with the maximum frame size of 1000 bits and new packets generated about 1 second apart . Timeout interval is 10 m/sec if the special acknowledgement timer were eliminated, unnecessary timeout would occur . In the scenario, how any times average msg would have been transmitted?
- Only once
- None of the above
49) _______ has the responsibility for Accounting functions.
- Transport layer
- Data link layer
- Data layer
- Network layer
50) In a class C address, if 3 bits are borrowed for subnetting of host ID part, the total possible number of subnet masks are _________________.
Candidates can also access additional study materials such as the GATE preparation materials or the GATE previous year papers at BYJU’S. Stay tuned and get more information when they go live!