GATE Chemical Engineering Syllabus 2022 has been released by IIT, Kharagpur. Any candidate who aspires to join the Chemical Engineering M. Tech course at one of the prestigious institutes of India can start preparing with the help of the GATE Chemical Engineering (CH) syllabus. Students can get an idea about the topics and concepts of Chemical Engineering that will be discussed for the GATE Exams from the GATE Chemical Engineering Syllabus.
While preparing for the GATE Exams, candidates are advised to adhere to the GATE Chemical Engineering Syllabus or refer to the marking scheme and other reference materials. As per the marking scheme and the syllabus, candidates can choose to focus on one particular area of a subject or not.
GATE Chemical Engineering (CH) Syllabus
The entire GATE 2022 Syllabus for Chemical Engineering PDF is divided into nine main sections. Some topics discussed across these sections include Engineering Mathematics, Process Calculations and Thermodynamics, Fluid Mechanics and Mechanical Operations, Heat Transfer, Mass Transfer, Chemical Reaction Engineering, Instrumentation and Process Control, Plant Design and Economics and Chemical Technology. Candidates can refer to the GATE Chemical Engineering Syllabus to get an overview of all these sections and topics that are discussed in Class.
Candidates can refer to the GATE CH Syllabus 2022 from the PDF links provided below. In addition, we have also listed details of the topics from the Gate syllabus on this webpage. Click on the link given below for the GATE Chemical Engineering (CH) Syllabus and start referring to it and plan the studies, more effectively.
Download GATE Syllabus for Chemical Engineering PDF
Candidates can refer to the GATE Chemical Engineering syllabus given and get an idea about the topics to prepare for the exams.
GATE Chemical Engineering Syllabus
|Section 1- Engineering Mathematics
- Linear Algebra: Matrix algebra, Systems of linear equations, Eigen values and eigenvectors.
- Calculus: Functions of single variable, Limit, continuity and differentiability, Taylor series, Mean value theorems, Evaluation of definite and improper integrals, Partial derivatives, Total derivative, Maxima and minima, Gradient, Divergence and Curl, Vector identities, Directional derivatives, Line, Surface and Volume integrals, Stokes, Gauss and Green’s theorems.
- Differential equations: First order equations (linear and nonlinear), Higher order linear differential equations with constant coefficients, Cauchy’s and Euler’s equations, Initial and boundary value problems, Laplace transforms, Solutions of one dimensional heat and wave equations and Laplace equation.
- Complex variables: Complex number, polar form of complex number, triangle inequality. Probability and Statistics: Definitions of probability and sampling theorems, Conditional probability, Mean, median, mode and standard deviation, Random variables, Poisson, Normal and Binomial distributions, Linear regression analysis.
- Numerical Methods: Numerical solutions of linear and non-linear algebraic equations. Integration by trapezoidal and Simpson’s rule. Single and multi-step methods for numerical solution of differential equations.
|Section 2-Process Calculations and Thermodynamics
- Steady and unsteady state mass and energy balances including multiphase, multi-component, reacting and non-reacting systems. Use of tie components; recycle, bypass and purge calculations; Gibb’s phase rule and degree of freedom analysis.
- First and Second laws of thermodynamics. Applications of first law to close and open systems. Second law and Entropy. Thermodynamic properties of pure substances: Equation of State and residual properties, properties of mixtures: partial molar properties, fugacity, excess properties and activity coefficients; phase equilibria: predicting VLE of systems; chemical reaction equilibrium.
|Section 3- Fluid Mechanics and Mechanical Operations
- Fluid statics, surface tension, Newtonian and non-Newtonian fluids, transport properties, shell-balances including differential form of Bernoulli equation and energy balance, equation of continuity, equation of motion, equation of mechanical energy, Macroscopic friction factors, dimensional analysis and similitude, flow through pipeline systems, velocity profiles, flow meters, pumps and compressors, elementary boundary layer theory, flow past immersed bodies including packed and fluidized beds, Turbulent flow: fluctuating velocity, universal velocity profile and pressure drop.
- Particle size and shape, particle size distribution, size reduction and classification of solid particles; free and hindered settling; centrifuge and cyclones; thickening and classification, filtration, agitation and mixing; conveying of solids.
|Section 4- Heat Transfer
- Equation of energy, steady and unsteady heat conduction, convection and radiation, thermal boundary layer and heat transfer coefficients, boiling, condensation and evaporation; types of heat exchangers and evaporators and their process calculations; design of double pipe, shell and tube heat exchangers, and single and multiple effect evaporators.
|Section 5- Mass Transfer
- Fick’s laws, molecular diffusion in fluids, mass transfer coefficients, film, penetration and surface renewal theories; momentum, heat and mass transfer analogies; stage-wise and continuous contacting and stage efficiencies; HTU & NTU concepts; design and operation of equipment for distillation, absorption, leaching,liquid-liquid extraction, drying, humidification, dehumidification and adsorption, membrane separations (micro- filtration, ultra-filtration, nano-filtration and reverse osmosis).
|Section 6- Chemical Reaction Engineering
- Theories of reaction rates; kinetics of homogeneous reactions, interpretation of kinetic data, single and multiple reactions in ideal reactors, kinetics of enzyme reactions (Michaelis-Menten and Monod models), non-ideal reactors; residence time distribution, single parameter model; non-isothermal reactors; kinetics of heterogeneous catalytic reactions; diffusion effects in catalysis; rate and performance equations for catalyst deactivation.
|Section 7- Instrumentation and Process Control
- Measurement of process variables; sensors and transducers; P&ID equipment symbols; process modeling and linearization, transfer functions and dynamic responses of various systems, systems with inverse response, process reaction curve, controller modes (P, PI, and PID); control valves; transducer dynamics; analysis of closed loop systems including stability, frequency response, controller tuning, cascade and feed forward control.
|Section 8- Plant Design and Economics
- Principles of process economics and cost estimation including depreciation and total annualized cost, cost indices, rate of return, payback period, discounted cash flow, optimization in process design and sizing of chemical engineering equipments such as heat exchangers and multistage contactors.
|Section 9- Chemical Technology
- Inorganic chemical industries (sulfuric acid, phosphoric acid, chlor-alkali industry), fertilizers (Ammonia, Urea, SSP and TSP); natural products industries (Pulp and Paper, Sugar, Oil, and Fats); petroleum refining and petrochemicals; polymerization industries (polyethylene, polypropylene, PVC and polyester synthetic fibres).
GATE Chemical Syllabus Exam Pattern 2022
Meanwhile, students who aspire to score high must refer to the GATE Chemical Engineering Exam marks’ scheme along with the GATE Chemical Engineering (CH) Syllabus and other reference materials to prepare for the exams.
- General Aptitude(GA) Marks of Chemical Engineering(CH) = 15 Marks
- Subject Marks = 85 Marks
- Total Marks for CH = 100 Marks
- Total Time (in Minutes) = 180 Minutes
Frequently Asked Questions on GATE Chemical Engineering Syllabus 2022
How many sections are there in the GATE Chemical Engineering Syllabus 2022?
The GATE Chemical Engineering Syllabus 2022 comprises nine sections. They are Engineering Mathematics, Process Calculations and Thermodynamics, Fluid Mechanics and Mechanical Operations, Heat Transfer, Mass Transfer, Chemical Reaction Engineering, Instrumentation and Process Control, Plant Design and Economics and Chemical Technology.
How do we access the GATE Syllabus for Chemical Engineering 2022?
IIT releases the syllabus on the official website. We also provide the PDF link to access the syllabus, while details of the topics are also mentioned on the web page.
What are the topics covered under Section 7- Instrumentation and Process Control of the syllabus?
Topics covered in the Section 7 of the syllabus are Measurement of process variables; sensors and transducers; P&ID equipment symbols; process modeling and linearization, transfer functions and dynamic responses of various systems, systems with inverse response, process reaction curve, controller modes (P, PI, and PID); control valves; transducer dynamics; analysis of closed loop systems including stability, frequency response, controller tuning, cascade and feed forward control.