Explore How to Prepare For The GATE Examination?
In this fast-paced world, everyone is running behind success. Everyone wants to build a dynamic career and for that purpose, competitive exams are one of the most attractive ways. No wonder, cracking a competitive exam is a challenging task and the winning way to get entry into profitable jobs and outstanding PG programs. There are many competitive exams in the nation and this article will provide you with information about one of the most prestigious exams and it is GATE. If you want to make an astonishing career through GATE Exam, then it is important to unfold GATE Preparation Tips.
This article will give you a clear insight into how to prepare for the GATE exam.
Table of Contents:
GATE Preparation Tips
The purpose of the GATE exam is to check the knowledge and perception of undergraduate students in various core topics of engineering and science. This exam is popular because it is the gateway to the postgraduate program and outstanding jobs.
If you are a GATE aspirant and want to enjoy all the benefits of the GATE exam, then here are some tips that can help you in your GATE journey.
- Prime and The Most Vital Step – Know Your Syllabus: This is a basic and the most essential step that you need to follow. Before proceeding with the exam preparations you need to check the GATE syllabus of your respective disciplines. Learning the syllabus in detail will help you in making a solid preparation plan. Also, you can figure out the topics on which you have to focus more.
- Know About The Exam Pattern: This is again a very important step. Knowing the exam pattern is a crucial part that can help you later in the examination and also in the preparation. That’s why it is suggested that before making any further plan for studies, just go through your GATE exam pattern first.
- Make a Solid Study Plan: A well-structured preparation plan intends half of the job to be completed. After analyzing the exam pattern and the syllabus of your core subject, you can proceed with designing the study plan. This study plan will help you in organizing the schedule and topics for you and it will become easier for you to complete the study material.
- Start The Preparation Early: GATE is an exam that demands consistent and long-term preparation. It is recommended to begin the study for this exam as early as possible because it will provide you enough time to understand the topics and revise regularly. The best time to start preparing for the GATE exam is in your college. You can start in your 2nd year of engineering.
Explore GATE Preparation Related Videos:
- Refer Standard Books And Make Notes: When it comes to preparing for the GATE exam, it is essential to pick genuine books. Referring to the right books will strengthen your knowledge and make your GATE journey smooth. The study material for GATE is certainly similar to what you have read in your engineering, but, you need to revive it and for that, you need the best GATE preparation books.GATE aspirants are recommended to do a deep study before purchasing books for GATE. You can consult this with your mentor, their experience might help you in selecting the best books.
- Practice Previous GATE Papers and Mock Tests: Practicing GATE previous year paper and mock tests is an exceptional way of getting acquainted with the GATE exam pattern. Solving the previous year’s papers will help you in getting the types of questions, level of question papers, exam pattern, and more. Along with this, it will also help you in improving your time management skills. You will have a fair idea of the topics which you need to stress more on.
- Learn How To Manage Your Time: When it comes to any competitive exam, time plays a very important role. You need to learn how to manage the time in the examination so that you can complete your paper with full accuracy. While practicing the exam papers, you can improve this skill as well.
- Revision Is The Key: Always remember: revision is the key that can take this journey ahead. After completing all the topics, you can start building a strategy for your revision. This way you can get in touch with your syllabus more and practice makes a person perfect and this is what we need to execute here.
- Motivation & Trust: Motivation and trust are the two big elements that can help you crack any examination. If you are devoted to your study and loyal to your goal, then you do not have to worry about anything. Moreover, draw motivation from your mentors and seniors. This way you can boost your confidence also.
Now that you have understood the basic tips for preparing for the GATE Exam, you can make this journey smooth and worthwhile.
Indeed, competitive exams are not a simple task, however, with proper direction and hard work, you can undoubtedly clear any competitive exam. If you are a newbie in this whole idea of GATE, then you need to take care of the above-mentioned points.
GATE Preparation Tricks
Exams are conducted just to make sure you are competitive enough with others as well as with yourself. This, too, shall pass, and once you are a step ahead, you will be much smarter and wiser than before. Stop thinking about what lies ahead, and try sleeping peacefully. Here is a list of handpicked GATE preparation tips for this session:
- Work on your Circadian Rhythm: Early to bed and early to rise isn’t everyone’s thing. Not all of us are used to getting up before the birds set out from their nests. What about the night owls? Stick to a routine- define your schedule. The first thing that you need to identify is how your body works. Students tend to snooze their alarm, doze off, get up, eat, study, and sleep at random hours. Your body gets confused, and you always feel lazy. The solution is to push yourself out of the bed every day at the same hour. Adhere to a schedule that defines everything- when do you eat, sleep, study, surf social media, go out, etc. We know it sounds a bit of a stretch, but unless you take the initiative, you will keep snoozing your alarm and feel like a sloth all day long.
- Do You Have A Timetable? It’s okay if you still don’t have one, but it’s a must. Don’t think of it as a strict disciplinary thing that the nerds are ought to follow- but a checklist that reminds you what to do next. Students often get carried away with one thing. You never know how your nap transforms into a 5-hour sleep, and it’s impossible to determine how the time runs so fast when trying to understand that one twisted concept. The point is- you may mess up with the things that you must do every day- and that’s not healthy. Try to plan a schedule that vaguely states what you must do for the day, and you can get specific with your timetable slowly and steadily.
- Time Is Everything: In all these years of schooling and college, you have worked through every easy and tough time while preparing for exams. But when the exams come near, every aspirant gets hungry for just one thing, and this only thing gets to be too little. We all know what this thing is- time. Maybe try not to fret one day before your exams? Spare yourself the last-minute anxiety- you cannot cover up everything in one night. But you can do it in one month! Learn to manage time. Plan your course of preparation according to your exam syllabus. Don’t be too hard on yourself for being behind in your schedule. Just be clever enough to spare yourself A LOT of time for revision before your exams.
- Eat Well: Stay fit, don’t cut on that diet. It is natural to lose the urge to eat properly or even stress-eat a lot of junk. But hey, that’s not healthy! Your mind is already affecting your body with the examination stress. Try not to overload it with physical illness. Your body is your asset- take care of it. Have a lot of vegetables, fruits, and grains. They will not only boost your memory but will also make you feel full. Do not sit around all day munching on chips, and definitely never skip your meals.
- Clarify Your Doubts: Out of all the GATE preparation tips, this one is like the sun at noon. We all know that we must clarify our doubts in advance, and not wait for the exam dates to do so. And yet, a lot of us keep pushing the doubts aside to cover the syllabus and try to clarify all of them at once. Well, that’s not going to work. For starters, if you come up with doubts while learning a topic, clarifying it ASAP will help you understand the concept better. Further delaying will create a void in your understanding of sub-topics, and you might create unnecessary confusion. Also, trying to resolve many doubts at once will leave you debilitated and blurred with the basics. It is better to note your doubts on a piece of paper and clarify them in bunches. Check out the GATE difference between and GATE full-form articles from credible resources to understand your basics. Leave no stones unturned.
- Use Flashcards: Not many students prefer doing this- but flashcards make revisions easier. The concept is very simple- you jot down every important thing on a sticky note or a card and then either paste it on your book or carry it around for revision. Flashcards help you keep stuff at your fingertips. This way, you can quickly take a glance at the difficult concepts, and since they are written in your handwriting, you can easily recall them. Also, flashcards help you remember your doubts. So you don’t have to go through an entire page to find out where you got stuck- it saves your time.
- The Art of Partition: You always know what topics are tougher and take comparatively more time than the others. Well, difficult topics need regular brushing up. But here’s a simple thing you can do- find some time to revise such topics every single day. Learning a tricky concept is not enough if you can’t remember it. So why not just take a quick glance over those equations every once in a while? Divide your study hours on the basis of hard and easy portions, and dedicate time accordingly. Start with a complicated topic, deal with a simple one, and then again end up revising a complicated topic from a week before. This way, you will feel more confident with your preparations.
- Revise Regularly: It is advisable to dedicate a minimum of an hour of your day exclusively for revision. The forgetting curve states that if a person doesn’t reinforce what they learned within a day or two, they are bound to forget about 80% of it. Regular revision helps you retain what you learned and grasped a day before. This way, you can actually cover the entire syllabus without forgetting anything over the months/ weeks. As a matter of fact, many toppers agree that their overall preparation includes keeping an hour daily, and approx 2 days weekly, aside for revision.
- Self Examination: It’s healthy to check your level of preparation once in a while. One might be overwhelmed with the entire syllabus and all the hours of studying- but it’s always a good idea to know where you stand. Hear us out. When you take the GATE exam, you would not want to be faced with questions that might seem too strange or out of the box. How would you gauge the exam pattern, type of questions asked, and the pace at which you must answer them? Sure, looking at blueprints and the syllabus will help you a lot. But you still need to practise taking an exam. Because there is no reason why you should take up the exam and then pacify yourself by thinking that the questions were tough- you can work on that now. Solve GATE mock tests and GATE previous year question papers from a maximum of 5 years. You can also solve a set of sample papers regularly to get an idea of the topics that need improvisation.
- Take a Break to Stay Motivated: It should be a priority in your GATE preparation tips. Motivation is the most crucial step in learning. You may sometimes feel a bit low when flipping through the pages for hours, and you may suddenly feel like you just can’t do it. The topics seem irrelevant, the words don’t make sense, and the syllabus looks LONG. What do you do? Just take a break. Relax. Breathe. Maybe take a walk or do something that you love. Talk to your teachers and parents about how you’re feeling today. But don’t let yourself down. Remember that Rome wasn’t built in a day, and it’s okay to take a break as long as you’re not compromising on the dedication and hard work.
- Chin Up: Not every one of us thought we would crack engineering- but here you are! Not only have you succeeded in cracking through all these exams over years, but you are also getting ready to face one of the most esteemed exams in India – GATE. Don’t you think you have it in you? Do not lose hope. There is still plenty of time, and you have plenty of resources to help you sail through this journey. Just keep your focus intact, and stop overthinking about the outcome.
Frequently Asked Questions on How To Start Preparing For GATE
Is it possible to clear GATE in 1 year?
Nothing is difficult if you are really concentrated and committed. With proper support, plan, education, and time management, candidates can clear the GATE exam.
How much time is required for GATE preparation?
The answer actually depends on person to person. You have to put all your time into preparing the best for your GATE exam.
What are the best GATE preparation tips?
An in-depth understanding of the syllabus and devotion to your study can help you crack the exam. Also, you can refer to the above article to discover the tips for the GATE exam.