What Is The Full Form Of AWS?
The full form of AWS is Amazon Web Services.
AWS is a comprehensive cloud service platform offered by Amazon. It provides database storage, networking, email, mobile development, remote computing, content delivery, security, and other services that help businesses grow. The services are on-demand, with no upfront payment required for most of them. The pay-as-you-go tools and solutions are used by software developers, educational institutes, NPOs, government agencies, private organizations, etc., across 190 countries.
AWS may lack functionality when working individually, but the services are good to integrate with complex applications. Companies like Netflix deploy AWS for their database storage and computational needs. The AWS platform is a combination of IaaS (Information as a Service), SaaS (Packaged Software as a Service), and Platform as a Service (PaaS) offerings.
History Of Amazon Web Services
- AWS launched its simple cloud computing services in 2002. They released their fully automated computational resource providing services later in the same year.
- They launched one of the first SQS (Simple Queue Service) in 2004.
- In the year 2006, AWS launched its cloud products by releasing AWS-Compute (EC-2).
- They held their first customer event in 2012.
- AWS surpassed a revenue target of $10 billion in 2016.
- It has been offering about 100 cloud services since 2019.
Characteristics Of AWS
- AWS is a worldwide provider of services and is available in 24 geographical locations.
- It offers backup methods that one can implement in a decentralized nature. So, storage of info in varied geographical locations becomes easy and affordable.
- The pay-as-you-go pricing model of AWS is reasonable, as you only pay for the duration for which you used the resources.
- You can count on AWS for your data security. You get to choose from various plans, depending on the type of data you want to store. And it stays safe with AWS.
- AWS keeps updating its security features, and the company’s data centers never breach your privacy.
- You can scale your servers and database using AWS so that your applications don’t have to run with 100% capacity.
Types Of AWS Services
AWS Compute Services – Their cloud computing services include EC2 (Elastic Compute Cloud), Elastic Beanstalk, AWS Lambda, LightSail, EKS (Elastic Container Service for Kubernetes).
Storage – AWS also helps with cloud storage of data with its services like Amazon Glacier, Amazon Elastic Block Store (EBS), AWS Storage Gateway.
Migration – Their migration services help users transfer data between the data center and AWS. These services include SMS (Server Migration Service), DMS (Database Migration Service), Snowball.
Security – AWS helps you secure your data and manage its access to the users with services like Certificate Manager, IAM (Identity and Access Management), Cloud Directory, WAF (Web Application Firewall), Shield, KMS (Key Management Service), and more.
Analytics – Find, filter, analyze, and manage your data using services like Athena, ElasticSearch, CloudSearch, Kinesis, EMR (Elastic Map Reduce), QuickSight, Data Pipeline.
Database – You can deploy easy to set up, fast, and manageable database services like Amazon RDS, Amazon ElastiCache, Amazon DynamoDB, Neptune, Amazon RedShift.
Application – You can manage your application and coordinate with its functionality using services like Step Functions, SWF (Simple Workflow Service), SNS (Simple Notification Service), Elastic Transcoder, SQS (Simple Queue Service).
Management – Monitor and manage AWS resources, audit, automate, and do more with services like CloudWatch, CloudTrail, CloudFormation, OpsWorks, Service Catalog, Config, AWS Auto Scaling, Systems Manager, Managed Services.
IoT – These services help you manage your IoT devices, interact with them, and operate them in real-time. They include IoT Core, IoT Device Management, IoT Analytics, Amazon FreeRTOS.
Deployment and Management – Services like AWS CloudHSM, AWS CloudTrail, Amazon CloudWatch assist users in receiving files, managing resources, maintaining data security, and more.
Mobile Services – Users can design, configure, add, and delete various features for mobile apps and do more with Mobile Hub, Cognito, Device Farm, AWS AppSync services.
Developer Tools – AWS helps users with creating, testing, authenticating, compiling and managing codes. It offers services like CodeStar, CodeCommit, CodeDeploy, CodeBuild, CodePipeline, Cloud9.
AR and VR – A set of tools named Sumerian offers high-quality VR experiences on the web. And it allows you to create interactive 3D scenes. You can publish them as a website for user access.
AI – Users can build, train, and deploy AI tools and features using Lex, Polly, SageMaker, Rekognition, Transcribe, Translate.
Business Productivity – AWS services help businesses manage their employee records, business emails, hold meetings, and do more with Alexa for Business, WorkDocs, Chime, WorkMail.
Customer Engagement – Understand your users and engage with them in real-time using Amazon Connect, Pinpoint, SES (Simple Email Service).
Desktop and App Streaming – AWS offers a virtual desktop infrastructure to use remote desktops in the cloud named WorkSpaces. And AppStream helps in streaming desktop applications to the users in the web browser.
Game Development – AWS manages the GameLift service to help users host dedicated game servers. The scaling is seamless, and you don’t have to take your game offline.
AWS Services Applications
- SaaS hosting/ Application hosting
- Media distribution & Content delivery
- Website hosting
- Academic Computing
- Managing Search Engines
- Social Media & Mobile Applications
- Sharing of Media (Videos/ Images)
- Recovery of Storage, Backup, Disaster Recovery
- Development and test environments
- Social Networking
Benefits Of AWS
- The users save their money on buying expensive equipment like storage drives, servers, etc. AWS offers all these services for cheaper.
- The signup process is easy, and the UI is manageable even for new users who might not be tech-savvy.
- The user’s physical infrastructure and data stay safe with AWS. They offer reliable security.
- You can switch to dynamic security for increasing server capacity when hosting robust applications. AWS offers to ensure an efficient, affordable, and fast way for users to manage their servers.
- Their support team is skilled and can help you whenever you feel stuck.
- AWS continually works on adding more features, services and security updates.
- S3 and Glacier storage services offer a virtually unlimited storage capacity.
Limitations Of AWS
- You may waste your money on trying different services that AWS offers. Choosing the best one becomes difficult.
- The architecture of AWS infrastructure can be very complicated and may not be manageable for all.
- AWS services lack some features in their functionality. And you may have to wait for long until they get officially released, even if you choose to raise a feature request.