What Is The Full Form of WLAN?
The Full Form of WLAN is Wireless Local Area Network.
A WLAN is a small and restricted wireless local area network. To provide mobility to the network users, it utilizes radio communication while connecting to the wired network. WLAN widens the connection of the wired local area network. WLANs are constructed by connecting the access point(AP) to the edge of a network that is wired.
Clients and AP can communicate via a wireless network adapter with the same functionality as an Ethernet adapter. This is also known as the Local area wireless network or LAWN. In comparison to other wireless networks, the performance of WLAN is high. The coverage of a WLAN is usually restricted inside campus or building or tech parks using a mobile propagation of wired or connected networks.
HiperLAN, Wi-Fi, and IEEE 802.11 are the standards of WLAN. WLAN provides service to the desktop laptop, mobile application and all the devices that operate with the help of the Internet. It takes only about 24 hours to set up an affordable WLAN connection. It enables the consumers to be mobile within the local vicinity with coverage and stay connected to the network. Meanwhile, the latest brands support IEE 802.11 standards, which are the WI-FI brand name.
History of WLAN
- Norman Abramson, a professor at the University of Hawaii, was the developer of the world’s first wireless computer communication network.
- In 1979, Gfeller and u.Bapst published the IEE Proceedings as a paper, where they mentioned an experimental WLAN via diffused infrared communications.
- In 1991, the first IEEE workshops on Wireless LAN were conducted.
Features of WLAN
- Smooth and continuous functioning without any disruption
- Less power consumption for battery use
- Easy management, simple for everyone
- Protection of the investment in wired networks
- Strong transmission technology
Benefits of WLAN
- Quick and easy installation
- Lesser cost of ownership
- Flexible installation process
- Mobile, reliable and robust
Limitations of WLAN
- Bandwidth of the connection is slow
- A primary concern is the security of the wireless LAN
- WLAN has lesser capacity
- Cost of wireless network is four times that of the wired network cards
- The RF emitted by these wireless devices are at low levels, thus harmful for heath