What Is The Full Form of ROM?
The Full Form Of ROM is Read Only Memory.
Read-Only Memory (ROM) is a different kind of storage medium used in systems and other electronic devices that can be read only.
When it comes to ROM, data can only be entered once and cannot be modified later. Also, ROM is a non-volatile type of memory, therefore we can easily retain data from it even after the power is not available.
ROM (Read-Only Memory) is useful for collecting software that is unusually modified throughout the lifetime of the system and is also called firmware.
Types Of ROM
MROM: MROM stands for Mask Read Only Memory. It is a memory chip that is made with its data. These are economical and the first type of ROM, which were hard-wired mechanisms that include pre-programmed directions.
PROM: PROM stands for Programmable read-only memory. A PROM is considered a blank chip. We can say it is a ROM without any content inside it. Therefore, in such a case, the user can freely add content. But remember once the data has been inserted into the PROM, it could not be revised.
EPROM: EPROM stands for Erasable Programmable read-only memory. This is a bit of an exception we can say because the data bound could be deleted if the EPROM chip is shown to extreme ultraviolet light for some time. Once the data got deleted, newer data could be rewritten to it.
EEPROM: EEPROM stands for Electrically Erasable Programmable Read-Only Memory. The concept of EEPROM is somehow the same as the EPROM. EEPROM provides the stored data to be deleted electrically. Once the data got deleted, it could be rewritten Electrically. So, this is how the EEPROM works.
Flash Memory: Flash memory is a computer memory storage mechanism that can be electrically erased and reprogrammed. In fact, Flash memory can be erased and rewritten faster than ordinary EEPROM.
Benefits Of ROM
- This memory does not demand a constant power supply to maintain the data in the device, once the data has been written. Therefore, it preserves information even after the loss of power.
- ROM is cost-efficient. Therefore, it could be connected to devices with an efficient budget.
- The concept is easy to understand. It includes a simple mechanism, and is easy to handle.
- One of the most attractive benefits of ROM is Data Security. In this we can only write the data a single time and also we cannot modify the data. Therefore, accidental deletion of data could not happen.
Limitation Of ROM
- ROM has a low storage capacity, and hence could only be used to store small (but critical) data.