UPSC Exam Preparation: Topic of the Day – National Commission for Safai Karamcharis (NCSK)
National Commission for Safai Karamcharis (NCSK):
In 1994, the National Commission for Safai Karamcharis (NCSK) was established to deal with the grievances of persons engaged in manual scavenging. It is a non-statutory body looking into matters concerning the welfare of Safai Karamcharis’ and makes recommendations to the government. It has a sanctioned strength of a chairperson and four members. It is a statutory body established under National Commission for Safai Karamcharis Act 1993.
What is its aim?
It aims to promote and safeguard the interests and rights of Safai Karamcharis. Its mandate is to monitor, study and evaluate the implementation of schemes for Safai Karamcharis, as an autonomous organisation and also provide redressal of their grievances.
What are its Functions?
- Recommend to the Central Government, under a time-bound action plan, specific programmes of action towards elimination of inequalities in status, facilities and opportunities for the welfare of Safai Karamcharis.
- Evaluation and the implementation of the programmes and schemes relating to the social and economic rehabilitation of Safai Karamcharis and make recommendations to the Central Government and State Governments to ensure better coordination and implementation of such programmes and schemes.
- Investigate specific grievances and take suo moto notice of those matters that relate to the non-implementation of:
- Programmes or schemes in respect of any group of Safai Karamcharis.
- Decisions, guidelines or instructions, aimed at mitigating the hardship of Safai Karamcharis.
- Measures for the social and economic upliftment of Safai Karamcharis.
- The provisions of any law in its application to Safai Karamcharis.
- Prepare reports periodically to the Central and State Governments on matters relating to the Safai Karamcharis, taking into account any disabilities and difficulties being faced by the Safai Karamcharis. And also other matters that may be referred to it by the Central Government.
Website and mobile application launched for National Commission for Safai Karamcharis:
- A new website for the National Commission for Safai Karamcharis (NCSK) was launched by the Union Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment.
- The new website is very user-friendly
- It is developed as per the guidelines of the Central Government for official websites.
- It is comprehensive website giving complete details about Commission viz, its composition, mandate, the manner of filing complaints, details of visits undertaken by its Chairman and Members, etc.
- It also facilitates petitioners to file their grievances and complaints, etc. online on the website and thereafter tracks them.
- Simultaneously, petitioner can also lodge their grievances and complaints through their android mobile phones by using NCSK App which can be downloaded from Google Play Store free of cost.
Read more ‘Topic of the Day’ and stay ahead of your competition.