The UPSC conducts the civil services exam every year to recruit officers into the Indian civil service. Clearing the UPSC civil services is your ticket to a profession in the coveted civil services of the country. This exam is conducted in three stages. The first stage to cross is the UPSC prelims exam. This could be considered the easiest of all the stages but it is also the one with the most intense competition. In this article, we give you a list of the NCERT books you should read for the IAS prelims exam.
NCERTs are a must-read at least in part for the UPSC civil services exam. This is because:
- The NCERTs explain basic concepts in clear and simple language (because they are designed for school children).
- They contain authentic information as the information in these books is provided by government institutions. When there are doubtful facts about a certain topic (when multiple sources give varied information), you can safely go by what is given in the NCERTs.
- They contain information that is given after extensive research.
- The basic concepts given in these books can serve as the basis for you to upgrade to advanced textbooks.
NCERT books for UPSC Prelims
- NCERT Class VI – Our Past
- NCERT Class VII – Our Past –I
- NCERT Class VIII – Our Past II and III
- NCERT Class XII – Themes In Indian History – I
- NCERT Class XII – Themes in Indian History – II
- NCERT Class XII – Themes in Indian History – III
- NCERT Class XI – Sociology: Understanding Society
- NCERT Class XII – Indian Society
- NCERT Class XII – Social Change and Development in India
ART & CULTURE
- NCERT Class XI – An Introduction to Indian Art
- NCERT Class XI – Living Craft Traditions of India (Chapters 9 & 10)
- NCERT Class VI – The Earth Our Habitat
- NCERT Class VII – Our Environment
- NCERT Class VIII – Resource and Development
- NCERT Class IX – Contemporary India – I
- NCERT Class X – Contemporary India – II
- NCERT Class XI – Fundamentals of Physical Geography
- NCERT Class XI – India – Physical Environment
- NCERT Class XII – Fundamentals of Human Geography
- NCERT Class XII – India – People and Economy
- NCERT Class IX – Political Science: Democratic Politics Part – I
- NCERT Class X – Political Science: Democratic Politics Part – II
- NCERT Class XI – Political Science: Indian Constitution at Work
- NCERT Class XI – Political Science: Political Theory
- NCERT Class XII – Political Science II: Politics in India since Independence
- NCERT Class IX – Economics
- NCERT Class X – Understanding Economic Development
- NCERT Class XI – Indian Economic Development
- NCERT Class XII – Introductory Microeconomics
- NCERT Class XII – Introductory Macroeconomics
- NCERT Class VI
- NCERT Class VII
- NCERT Class VIII
- NCERT Class IX
- NCERT Class X
- NCERT Class XI
- NCERT Class XII – Biology (chapters 4, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 & 16); Chemistry (chapter 16)
Get all the latest information on UPSC IAS exam at the linked article.