IBPS Marks Calculation

Institute of Banking Personnel Selection conducts recruitment for the public sector banks and regional rural banks in India.

The IBPS selection process for each post consists of multiple-stage examinations, and in some cases an interview.

In this article, we will discuss the IBPS marks calculation method used for determining the cut off for the final merit list of the bank exams.

The IBPS exam has two written phases for each examination.

The exam stages for officers usually consist of an interview as well.

For details on upcoming bank exams, refer to the linked article.

The IBPS uses a process for marks calculation post the Interview for these posts which we will discuss in the following paragraphs.

Marks Calculation for IBPS Clerk and IBPS RRB Assistant

The merit list for the following exams is drawn up based on the performance in the main examination:

The marks calculation for IBPS clerk and RRB assistant is calculated using the IBPS equipercentile method.

The method normalizes the marks across all shifts of the main exam to neutralize the effects of differing levels of difficulty between every shift.

To know more about the IBPS clerk salary, check the linked article.

For better exam preparation, candidates can take the IBPS Clerk Mock Test.

Marks Calculation for IBPS PO, SO and RRB Officers

The marks calculation for the following exams is a bit more complicated than that of clerical staff:

The total marks counted towards the merit list are a combination of the marks secured in the mains exam as well as the interview.

The steps followed for calculating marks for preparing the merit lists of IBPS Officer posts:

  • The score obtained by candidates in the mains exam is normalised across shifts using the Equipercentile method. The normalised scores above 40%(35% for SC/ST and PWD) are then used in subsequent stages.
  • The scores above the IBPS cutoff are used to draw up a list of candidates who are then interviewed.
  • The interview score is sorted, considering only those who score above 40%(35% for SC/ST and PWD) in the interview.
  • 80% weightage is given to the common written normalized score and then the remaining 20% is allotted to the interview.

To know more about the IBPS PO salary, check the linked article.

For example, let us consider that in the written IBPS RRB examination a candidate scored about 120 out of 200 and then this score normalized using the equipercentile method after this procedure the marks obtained are 117.

As it is 80% weightage based on the score it is 46.8.

This is how the CWE score is calculated.

  • This particular candidate who got the score of 46.8 in the written examination and his performance in the interview is only average and out of 100 if e got the marks of 50 then as we know the 20% weightage then this candidate can get the score of only 10 marks in the interview section.
  • So by adding the written examination score and the interview score, the complete score will be about 46.5+10=56.5. So 56.5 is the total score of this particular candidate.

This score includes the mains examination score and the interview score.

This score will be used to draw up the merit list of successful candidates who will be called for provisional allotment.

To know more about the IBPS SO salary, check the linked article.

A few tips for acing the IBPS Interview are as follows:

  • The most questions asked in the interview of IBPS are related to the news. Preparation for the interview must include reading a national newspaper daily, preferably one geared towards business and policy reporting such as the Hindu or Indian Express.
  • Confidence and honesty play an important role in any interview and candidates appearing for the IBPS interview should keep this in mind. If you are doubtful about the answer for any question, state that explicitly and then put forward your views if asked for by the panelists.
  • There are chances that the interviewer may ask questions about your resume. You should be aware of the achievements and experiences which you have mentioned in the resume. Any false or inconsistent information will get a candidate disqualified. Develop adequate knowledge about your hobbies as this is the most common question asked about your resume.
  • Finally, read more about the banking sector, when an interviewer asks about the industry you are about to join, they will get a fair idea of your interest in pursuing a banker’s career.

Regardless of marks calculation methods used by the institute, success depends on efficient preparation for the IBPS exam.

To know about the bank salary for the various exams, refer to the linked article.

Candidates should check the IBPS previous year question paper to get an idea on the exam.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *