The Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) is the authority vested with the responsibility of the administration of laws related to direct taxes through the Department of Income Tax. In India, necessary inputs for policy and planning is provided by the CBDT. Students preparing for IAS Exam should be aware of this topic.
The Central Board of Direct Taxes can be related to ‘Indian Economy’ in the General Studies Paper-3 section of the UPSC Syllabus. Indian Economy plays an important role in UPSC Preparation as it can be associated with other topics like International Relations and Current Affairs.
|Every time you attempt the CSAT Mock Tests, you get closer to your ultimate goal of cracking the IAS Exam. Visit the page now!!
Candidates can check the following links to strengthen their UPSC preparation:
What is the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT)?
- It is a statutory body established as per the Central Board of Revenue Act, 1963.
- It is India’s official financial action task force unit.
- It is administered by the Department of Revenue under the Ministry of Finance.
The Central Board of Direct Taxes consists of a Chairman and six members that deal with the following:
- Income Tax
- Legislation and Computerisation
- Audit and Judicial
- Personnel and Vigilance
The Members of the CBDT are selected from the Indian Revenue Service (IRS). The members constitute the top management of the Income Tax Department.
Functions of CBDT
- It deals with matters related to levying and collecting Direct Taxes.
- Formulation of various policies.
- Supervision of the entire Income Tax Department
- Suggests legislative changes in Direct Tax Enactments
- Suggests changes in tax rates
- Proposes changes in the taxation structure in line with the Government policies.
Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT):- Download PDF Here
For more UPSC related preparation materials and articles, visit the links given in the table below:
|UPSC Books||UPSC Monthly Current Affairs Magazine||Current Affairs Quiz|
|About RBI||First CAG of India||Indian Polity Book|
|Geography Class 12||Citizenship Amendment Bill PDF||Bismil|