Table of Contents:
A. GS1 Related
B. GS2 Related
C. GS3 Related
D. GS4 Related
Useful News Articles for UPSC Current Affairs
A. GS1 Related
B. GS2 Related
What’s in news?
- The Central Board of Trustees (CBT) of the Employees’ Provident Fund Organization (EPFO) prescribed to the Center to stretch out government managed savings advantages to more than 61 lakh laborers in unorganized sector.
- Recommended advantages to the volunteers of various schemes i.e. Anganwadi, ASHA, Mid-day Meal Workers under the ambit of EPFO.
- The EPFO has proposed to the Labour Ministry that a lower contributory rate of 10% of income towards the Employees’ Provident Fund be allowed for scheme workers as against 12% contribution stipulated for the organised workers.
- At present there are about 14 lakh Anganwadi workers, 12 lakh Anganwadi helpers, 25.5 lakh mid-day meal workers and 10 lakh ASHA workers in the country.
- The Comptroller and Auditor General of India (CAG) is doing an extensive execution review of the nation’s sustenance controller, FSSAI.
- CAG’s review is taking a gander at issues, for example, how FSSAI fixes principles, settles directions, affirms items, guarantees consistence and behaviors observation.
- This is a genuinely exhaustive review and is being accomplished interestingly since the controller appeared.
- The review of the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) comes against the scenery of the sustenance controller’s dubious choice to boycott assembling and offers of Maggi noodles—a mainstream nibble sold by Swiss organization Nestle in India—in 2015.
What was the issue?
- After the crackdown on Maggi, inquiries were raised on FSSAI’s abilities and operations including things like item endorsement handle, one of the essential things the controller used to do. The Bombay high court in July 2015 requested that FSSAI legitimize its activities against the noodle mark.
- On 13 August 2015, the Bombay high court put aside the boycott forced by FSSAI on Maggi noodles and asked Nestlé to retest tests at three labs confirmed by the National Accreditation Board for Testing and Calibration Laboratories (NABL).
- On 5 November, Nestlé India said its Maggi noodles got freedom from three research facilities affirmed by NABL and relaunched the famous nibble on 9 November 2015.
Criticalness of this move:
- A review like this will in the long run help the association improve its execution. It would discover the escape clauses, highlight what the controller ought to do to conceal those.
- FSSAI was set up in August 2011 under the Food Safety and Standard Act, 2006.
- It has forces to set down benchmarks for nourishment articles and to manage their assembling, stockpiling, conveyance, deal and import.
- Some of its exercises incorporate permitting and observation of nourishment and drinks outlets, authorization of wellbeing directions crosswise over enlisted sustenance sellers and guaranteeing security of imported sustenance things, their benchmarks and naming.
C. GS3 Related
- According to Central Electricity Authority, the Designated Authority of Government of India for Cross Border Trade of Electricity, first time India has pivoted from a net shipper of power to Net Exporter of power.
- Amid the present year 2016-17 (April to February 2017), India has sent out around 5,798 Million Units to Nepal, Bangladesh and Myanmar which is 213 Million units more than the import of around 5,585 Million units from Bhutan. Fare to Nepal and Bangladesh expanded 2.5 and 2.8 times separately in most recent three years.
Import of energy:
- As far back as the cross fringe exchange of power began in mid-Eighties, India has been bringing in power from Bhutan and insignificantly trading to Nepal in spiral mode at 33 kV and 132 kV from Bihar and Uttar Pradesh. On a normal Bhutan has been providing around 5,000-5500 Million units to India.
Fare of energy:
- India has been sending out around 190 MW energy to Nepal more than 12 cross outskirt interconnections at 11kV, 33kV and 132 kV level. The fare of energy to Nepal additionally expanded by around 145 MW with dispatching of Muzaffarpur (India)– Dhalkhebar(Nepal) 400kV line (being worked at 132 kV) in 2016.
- Fare of energy to Bangladesh from India got further lift with dispatching of first cross fringe Interconnection between Baharampur in India and Bheramara in Bangladesh at 400kV in September 2013. It was additionally increased by appointing of second cross fringe Interconnection between Surjyamaninagar (Tripura) in India and South Comilla in Bangladesh. At present around 600 MW power is being sent out to Bangladesh.
- Fare of energy to Nepal is relied upon to increment by around 145 MW in no time more than 132 kV Katiya (Bihar)– Kusaha (Nepal) and 132 kV Raxaul (Bihar)– Parwanipur (Nepal).
About Central Electricity Authority:
- The Central Electricity Authority of India (CEA) is a statutory association constituted under segment 3(1) of Electricity Supply Act 1948, which has been superseded by segment 70(1) of the Electricity Act 2003. The CEA prompts the administration on matters identifying with the National Electricity Policy and figures here and now and viewpoint anticipates the advancement of power frameworks.
- Under the Electricity Act 2003, CEA endorses the benchmarks on matters, for example, development of electrical plants, electric lines and availability to the framework, establishment and operation of meters and wellbeing and matrix measures.
- The CEA is likewise in charge of simultaneousness of hydro power advancement plans of focal, state and private divisions thinking about the elements which will bring about proficient improvement of the waterway and its tributaries for power era, reliable with the necessity of drinking water, water system, route and surge control.
Source: A report discharged by the Rural Electrification Corporation (REC)
- Ujwal Discom Assurance Yojana (UDAY), has helped discoms diminish their endowment reliance on state governments
- Because of enhanced liquidity position
- State-claimed control appropriation organizations of Rajasthan, Haryana, Andhra Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Madhya Pradesh and Bihar have lessened their endowment, booked as rate of the income, in the scope of 5-10 for every penny in the current money related year
- States like Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Assam, Haryana and Jharkhand diminished power buy cost up to 35 paise, 16 paise, 12 paise, 10 paise and 8 paise per unit, individually, in the October-December quarter of 2016-17, contrasted with a similar period the earlier year
UDAY is a vital plan for the power area and for India. India has all that could possibly be needed power creating ability to offer energy to everybody. In any case, conveyance organizations regularly don’t have the cash to purchase this power and supply it to clients. The poor money related state of discoms is because of reasons, for example, political impedance (e.g. free power for ranchers), burglary and so on. UDAY is intended to right this circumstance, and as indicated by reports, it is succeeding. Tap on the UDAY Scheme for Discoms story to peruse the Backgrounder and past news.
Rural Electrification Corporation Limited
- It is a Navratna Company, working under the domain of the Ministry of Power
- A main open Infrastructure Finance Company in India’s energy part
- Funds and advances rustic charge extends crosswise over India
- Gives advances to Central/State Sector Power Utilities, State Electricity Boards, Rural Electric Cooperatives, NGOs and Private Power Developers
- Recorded on both National Stock Exchange and Bombay Stock Exchange
- Presently, among the main 500 Global Financial Services marks by UK-based plc Brand Finance
What’s in news?
- Southwest China’s Chongqing Municipality, the most crowded and furthermore the biggest direct-controlled region, has declared another direction to rebuff unapproved Internet associations outside China’s Great Firewall (GF) utilizing VPNs by people in the locale.
- The new direction intends to reinforce China’s control of law and the internet security.
- Under the new standards, if an individual gets to global system secretly or by means of “unlawful channels,” or offers related administrations without authorisation, they could be fined up to 15,000 yuan ($2,178). The individuals who disregard the control to make benefits would be fined and their increases appropriated as needs be.
What is China’s Great Firewall?
- The GF is worked throughout the years by China to control the Internet content and confine access to all the restricted substance including access to worldwide online networking locales like Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and Google.
What required this move?
- There are 700 million Internet clients in China, the greater part of its populace, and Internet news coursed by web-based social networking stages like Weibo has turned out to be more prevalent than the state-controlled predominant press making the decision Communist Party of China (CPC) to reinforce controls on the Internet to guarantee that its syndication over power is not tested.
- While VPNs are utilized generally by strategic and remote media in China to get to overall Internet, the unique applications intended to beat the GF being advertised by a few Internet firms abroad are getting to be plainly mainstream among Chinese as well.
- Likewise, China pitches for “digital sway” moving far from worldwide Internet.
Category: DISASTER MANAGEMENT
- Foreseeing a basic move in the nation’s climate, the India Meteorological Department (IMD) is preparing state governments to enhance their moderation readiness to adapt to the constant heatwaves.
What’s being finished?
- IMD has tied up with state disaster management commissioners and health secretaries to detail arranges even with substantial setbacks from heatwave conditions. The National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA), on its part, has arranged a standard working methodology layout and a succession of activities to be activated amid an extreme heatwave.
What requires this move?
- Temperatures crosswise over India have been ascending on a normal of 0.7 degrees consistently, as indicated by IMD, with 2016 the most sizzling up until now.
- Heatwave rules will encourage the partners in setting up a heatwave administration and activity arrange by giving understanding into the warmth related sicknesses and the essential mitigative and reaction moves to be made.
- It will help in preparing and planning different divisions, people and groups to ensure themselves against avoidable medical issues amid spells of exceptionally hot climate.
What are heatwaves?
- While there are subtleties and district particular contrasts, the IMD extensively characterizes a warmth wave as when a place’s temperature is 5-6 degrees above ordinary.
- They are generally characterized as conditions activated by the temperature ascending to more than 45 degrees Celsius. At the point when temperatures take off over 47 degrees Celsius, it is known as an extreme heatwave.
Who will be affected?
- The general population most influenced by heatwaves are the destitute, ranchers, policemen, development laborers, postmen and vegetable merchants—i.e, the individuals who live or work outside. Extreme heatwave conditions in the past have brought about school and school excursions being expanded.
- The wellbeing effects of Heat Waves regularly include drying out, warmth issues, warm fatigue or potentially warm stroke. The signs and side effects are as per the following:
- Warm Cramps: Ederna (swelling) and Syncope (Fainting) for the most part joined by fever beneath 39 degC i.e.102 degF.
- Warm Exhaustion: Fatigue, shortcoming, wooziness, cerebral pain, sickness, retching, muscle issues and sweating.
- Warm Stoke: Body temperatures of 40*C i.e. At least 104*f alongside incoherence, seizures or unconsciousness. This is a potential lethal condition.
What’s in news?
- Another Road Accident Data Recording and Reporting Format has been taken off by the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH) with a view to drawing nearer towards a precise, predictable, and target street mishap database.
- The far reaching recording and announcing organization, to be executed by all States and Union Territories, is gone for drawing out the fundamental genuine reason for the street mischance so partners can make remedial and preventive strides.
About the new configuration:
- The recording configuration, to be filled in by the police at the site of the mishap, has five segments particularly to record essential information on street mischances (and not to supplant the FIR), catching the real conditions of the mishap.
- The five segments are: mischance distinguishing proof subtle elements, street related points of interest, vehicles required in mishap, driver’s points of interest, and people other than drivers required in mishap.
- Upwards of 55 lists, including climate condition, GPS area, surface state of street, street sort, speed restrain, perceivability at the season of mischance, physical divider, progressing street works, and utilization of security gadget, have been consolidated in the new recording structure.
- The new organization will help in discovering genuine cause, help intensive examination and execute street wellbeing measures in mischance destinations.
Chief Secretaries and State Police Chiefs have been made a request to find a way to outfit the street mishap points of interest in the new organization from this schedule year.
D. GS4 Related
E. Concepts-in-News: Related Concepts to Revise/Learn
|BILLS/ACTS/SCHEMES/ORGANISATIONS IN NEWS||About the Article|
|Article 142. Enforcement of decrees and orders of Supreme Court and unless as to discovery, etc||
( 1 ) The Supreme Court in the exercise of its jurisdiction may pass such decree or make such order as is necessary for doing complete justice in any cause or matter pending before it, and any decree so passed or orders so made shall be enforceable throughout the territory of India in such manner as may be prescribed by or under any law made by Parliament and, until provision in that behalf is so made, in such manner as the President may by order prescribe
(2) Subject to the provisions of any law made in this behalf by Parliament, the Supreme Court shall, as respects the whole of the territory of India, have all and every power to make any order for the purpose of securing the attendance of any person, the discovery or production of any documents, or the investigation or punishment of any contempt of itself
|Article 13. Laws inconsistent with or in derogation of the fundamental rights||
(1) All laws in force in the territory of India immediately before the commencement of this Constitution, in so far as they are inconsistent with the provisions of this Part, shall, to the extent of such inconsistency, be void
(2) The State shall not make any law which takes away or abridges the rights conferred by this Part and any law made in contravention of this clause shall, to the extent of the contravention, be void
(3) In this article, unless the context otherwise requires law includes any Ordinance, order, bye law, rule, regulation, notification, custom or usages having in the territory of India the force of law; laws in force includes laws passed or made by Legislature or other competent authority in the territory of India before the commencement of this Constitution and not previously repealed, notwithstanding that any such law or any part thereof may not be then in operation either at all or in particular areas
(4) Nothing in this article shall apply to any amendment of this Constitution made under Article 368 Right of Equality
|Article 25. Freedom of conscience and free profession, practice and propagation of religion||
(1) Subject to public order, morality and health and to the other provisions of this Part, all persons are equally entitled to freedom of conscience and the right freely to profess, practise and propagate religion
(2) Nothing in this article shall affect the operation of any existing law or prevent the State from making any law
(a) regulating or restricting any economic, financial, political or other secular activity which may be associated with religious practice;
(b) providing for social welfare and reform or the throwing open of Hindu religious institutions of a public character to all classes and sections of Hindus Explanation I The wearing and carrying of kirpans shall be deemed to be included in the profession of the Sikh religion
Explanation II In sub clause (b) of clause reference to Hindus shall be construed as including a reference to persons professing the Sikh, Jaina or Buddhist religion, and the reference to Hindu religious institutions shall be construed accordingly
Rashtriya Madhyamik Shiksha Abhiyaan
Achievement of the above objectives would also, inter-alia, signify substantial progress in the direction of the common schooling system.
G. Practice Questions for UPSC Prelims Exam:)
Question 1: ‘MERCOSUR’ is an economic and political bloc with which India has signed a Preferential Trade Agreement, and is looking to expand the scope of this agreement now. This bloc’s ‘full members’ does NOT include which of below given country?
Question 2: Consider the following statements:
- Free Trade Agreement – Tariff liberalisation on a limited number of lines
- Comprehensive Economic Partnership Agreement – An agreement which consists of an integrated package of agreement on, among others, Investments and Intellectual Property
Which of the above terminologies is/are correctly described?
- 1 only
- 2 only
- Both 1 and 2
- Neither 1 nor 2
“Proper Current Affairs preparation is the key to success in the UPSC- Civil Services Examination. We have now launched a comprehensive ‘Online Current Affairs Crash Course’. Limited seats available. Click here to Know More.”
Practice More: Enroll for India’s Largest All-India Test Series