UPSC Exam Preparation: Topic of the Day – Pandit Madan Mohan Malviya National Mission on Teachers and Teaching
Pandit Madan Mohan Malviya National Mission on Teachers and Teaching (PMMMNMTT) is a Scheme launched by the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India. The mission was launched in 2014. It is a central sector scheme with all India coverage.
The aim of the scheme to improve the quality of the school and higher education by addressing comprehensively all issues related to teachers, teaching, teacher preparation, professional development, Curriculum Design, Designing and Developing Assessment & Evaluation methodology, Research in Pedagogy and developing effective Pedagogy.
On One hand, the mission will address urgent issues such as supply of qualified teachers, attracting talent into teaching profession and raising the quality of teaching in schools and colleges. On another hand, the mission will pursue long-term goals of building a strong professional cadre of teachers by setting performance standards and creating top class institutional facilities for innovative teaching and professional development of teachers.
The Mission proposes to have following components:
- Schools of Education (in Central Universities).
- Centres of Excellence for Curriculum and Pedagogy.
- Inter-University Centres for Teachers’ Education.
- National Resource Centre for Education.
- Centres for Academic Leadership and Education Management.
- Innovations, Awards, Teaching Resource Grant, including Workshop & Seminar, Subject Networks for Curricular Renewal and Reforms.
The National Institute of Educational Research and Planning (NIEPA) is in the process of rolling out the National Resource centre, an initiative that is part of the Pandit Madan Mohan Malaviya National Mission on Teachers and Training (PMMMNMTT).
National Resource Centre:
- The National Resource Centre is envisaged as a one-stop point for Indian academicians to enhance their research and teaching skills.
- The center will enable college and university teachers to access a detailed database of academic resources, including lists of books, top journals and subject experts in their area of interest.
- It will also suggest a mechanism to higher education institutions to assess students’ satisfaction with teaching and research in the institutions so that the faculty are able to figure out what students think about their college/university and make improvements.
Read more ‘Topic of the Day’ and stay ahead of your competition.